+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic- Roofing Tin over asphalt shingles?

Default Off topic- Roofing Tin over asphalt shingles?

Putting this question out there,asphalt shingles are curling up,several are missing on house,need to put new roof on. Should I strip shingles as best as possible,then strap,or can I just strap over the existing shingles? Thanks in advance
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

If this is the first time you are redoing the roof you can put on the metal roof right on top of the shingles. The Amish do it around here all the time.

Just consider your roof framing/design and the additional weight of the metal. Strip the shingles if weight is a concern.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Part of that will depend on the pitch, Steel roofing sheds snow much better, but if the pitch is only 4/12 or 5/12 it may not do it quite as well. My sugarhouse is 6/12 pitch and snow rarely gets more than 6-8" deep before it slides off. My shop is a hip roof, the top is only 3.5/12 pitch, it holds snow much longer, the steeper angle o9n the lower roof (24/12) never holds more than 3-4 inches before it slides off.
    By the way the pitch of a roof for those who may not know is stated as the " rise/ft, for example 4/12 rises 4" every 12.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-23-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have A steel Roof over asphalt Shingles. The house was like that when I bought it. It's not a huge Big Deal, that being Said most of the roofing guys I know recommend against it. I don't believe that its frowned on because they want the extra dough to strip the roof. It's a ****ty Job if you have ever done one.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I just had a metal roof installed on my log cabin over the shingles. Your adding very little weight because over the years your shingles have broken down and loss weight so you bascily hae no more weight than when shingles were installed years ago.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

The color of painted roofing installed on slats over shingles will fade due to heat build up -- that's why the roofers recommend against it.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Just put steel on my house last year and did it right over the shingles. I laid 1/4" fanfold insulation over the shingles and secured with plastic cap nails. Steel over that. I can see that there might be pros and cons to both options, but for me, not having to tear off, haul, and pay to dispose of the shingles made leaving them a no-brainer.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Metal roofing over shingles isn't a problem as long as the roof can take the additional load (not likely a problem). You may need to trim some of the shingles if they are curled/cupped really badly, otherwise just fasten down some strapping and use long screws to go through the metal/strapping/shingles/decking and get well into the roof rafters. If you're paying to get it done, the main difference is cost. Removing shingles is a pain in the butt and generates a good deal of waste material to be disposed of. Contractors charge accordingly.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

You might want to check the steel manufacturers warranty. With some companies it voids the warranty if installed over shingles.
    Rob

2017- 75 taps 21 liters of syrup, 20x48 sugar shack
    2018- 150 taps 35 litres syrup 2x6 Lappiere evap, Auf, steamhood
    2019- 200 taps?- 150 on buckets- 50 on 3/16- the 3/16 still in the box due to time and weather this year- 43 liters syrup- tapped for week and a half
    2020- 204 taps- 170 buckets- 34 3/16 gravity tapped March 19th
    Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT SXS on Tracks- sap hauler
    Wife and kids who like sugar’n almost as much as me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast