+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best lining for a gas fired arch?

Default Best lining for a gas fired arch?

I'm building a stand so I can mount natural gas burners to boil sap in steam table pans. The burners will be 2" from the bottom of the pans and I plan to wrap the stand with tin so it covers 12" down all 4 sides. That should help block the wind from blowing out the flame.

Do I need to line the inside with anything --- fire brick, ceramic blanket, maybe even cement tile backerboard? I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of fire brick is, but if my fire is directly on the bottom of the pan do I even need any lining?
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Ceramic blanket is normally used. Study before you finish the build, I've had 2 finishers, the first was just 16x34" with 2 burners, I think the burners were 6" below the pans. My current finisher has tube burners, they are 8" below the pans. By the way, tube burners work way better. They can be made by drilling gas ports in a black iron pipe. I can get a diameter for propane if you like, just PM me. Then you would need to get the gas valves for each tube with the air inlet adjuster. The main difference, the 2 burner type burned a ring on the bottom right where the flame hit, just like it did back when I had a propane fired bottler. A tube burner spreads the heat better and can do the job easier.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would use firebrick. It worked great for my set up. I wrapped everything in galvanized ductwork. Go further down than 12 inches though, the wind can still be problematic. I plan to extend my wind shielding another 9 inches.

I agree about pipe burners. You can get very reasonable stainless steel u shaped pipe burners. That is what I used and they worked great. Added air/gas mixers to get pure blue burn to increase heat and efficiency and cut down on soot. Also probably want the burners a bit lower. Want the tips just touching the pan. Make sure you plan for a vent stack and damper.

https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

My 2x6 propane finisher has a 6" stack, no damper. It heats very well.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the info. This is going to be a bit of trial and error. I am planning on the 2" space between burners and pans because that is the gap on my water heater (that's where I'm getting burners from). As far as I can tell, there is no air venturi on a water heater, so I'm going to match the gas supply to what you'd find on a residential water heater and hope for a nice blue flame. If it doesn't work out then I'll probably head towards the pipe burners, though I was hoping to hold off a few years. I like the idea of customizing the boil size based on how much sap I collect. The way I'm picturing pipe burners will be best for a 2x3 pan.

I do have small gaps at the rounded corners of the pans for heat to escape. I've been looking at several gas setups including DRoseum's, but I haven't seen a vent stack on any of them. Wouldn't a vent allow the heat to escape?
    2.jpg
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

It's on the back end and not a good picture of it. It's more about letting the combustion exhaust gasses escape and not the heat. Just like the vent stack on top of water heater.

You will need a fairly large supply line to really run 6 burners. I ran 1 inch and it worked well. There are pipe size calculators online that can help bases on desired BTUs and length of the supply pipe run.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/n...ing-d_826.html
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

Ok great, good call. I’ll incorporate a vent once I add the sides.
    I will have a plumber help me once I start building the gas lines. My plan now is to connect to the 1” ID supply with a 3/4” hose into a 3/4” manifold. From there I’ll have 1/2” valves feeding each burner.

That sounds like it will work. I did 1" supply and manifold down to 1/2" valves as well.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

+ Reply to Thread