+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sugar House Build Questions

Default New Sugar House Build Questions

Hi All!

We have been making maple syrup in Niantic CT for a few years now. Long and slow process using a turkey fryer, large pans and a LOT of propane. My father in law recently passed and we have inherited his 2x3 oil fired evaporater, 3x3 hood and everything else that goes along with it. I will be building an 8x12 shed to house the evaporater and am looking for any advice before I jump into the build. Couple easy questions, I don’t need a cupola correct? Since I have a hood and stack I can just have the stack go through the roof and use a stack cover? Do I need any heat resistant material under the evaporater or is it fine to just mount it to the wood floor? I know you guys have much more experience than me, so please any hints, tips or recommendations are hugely appreciated. I will post pictures of the build and refurbishment of the evaporater as I get started.

Thanks!

You don't need a cupola but if you want your shed to look like a sugar house why not put one on? You should have something heat resistant under the evaporator. If you can, a concrete floor would be ideal. It will be heat resistant and it will be easier to keep the evaporator level.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father in law. You have inherited a family tradition which is a good thing to keep going. I agree with Russell on the cupola and concrete floor. Once you get the maple bug you may just outgrow the 2 x 3 evaporator. Just a few more trees start to add up quickly. And the end product tastes oh so good.

I built up a pad in my wood floored barn to put my wood fired 2x6 on. Backer board base, 3 inches of concrete, another piece of backer board then another layer of concrete. The bottom layer of concrete I added some vermiculite to. The base of my fire box is full size fire brick, several layers deep and wide . Using oil, I doubt you would need this much floor protection. The added bonus of building up such a tall fire box is not having to bend over to feed the arch, which I hate, not as critical with oil.

We have a LaPierre mini pro in a 8 x 14 shed with a wood floor but strongly recommend you put a steel plate under the front third of the evaporator and extend out by about 2'. No issues with heat radiated from evaporator as the fire brick do a great job. Issue is with stoking the fire as small embers often get knocked out onto the floor.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

Slowly making progress...work full time and have 4 kids.

Also, the evaporator is oil fired so I don’t think that I will have to deal with heat or embers as much.

And a little more...

Looking good. We switched to an oil unit from wood. Part of the reason was to reduce fire hazards. We also have a preheater with hoods. With the added space it sure is cool in the sugarhouse. Yours looks like it will be pretty cozy. Keep us updated.
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I like the picture with the little one in the back ground playing and your german short hair walking on the wall. She looks similar to my short hair.

On the final stretch now. Shed is built, cleaned up and painted the arch, burner has been serviced and the steam hood went through the roof tonight, more pics to come!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast