+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tree identification

I say elm too. We had an elm 3ft wide that just died couple years ago. It was alone in a hay field. There are still a few huge ones around CNY, always by themselves in open areas. Most of the time in our woods they get about 10 to 12 inches DBH then die off. When bark falls off standing tree they make awesome heat in evaporator.

This tree is either a Rock Elm ( native to as far east as Western New England ) or American Elm .
    The bark looks more like that of a Rock Elm and perhaps that is why it has not fallen to the DED, as the Rock is more resistant to the DED.
    It also may be an American Elm and has not fallen to the DED because as you said it is the only one on your property so it is relatively hidden from the DED.

If you cut it down make sure you have a log splitter and are prepared to clear the wedge with a second log. The maul is not going to work on it, not matter how big you are.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    If it's the "only one" in your woods...why would you cut it down? A bit of diversity is good in any woods isn't it?
    Lately every time I find "only one" of anything on my land it turns out to be something bad....Japanese barberry, buckthorn, multiflora rose. That kind of diversity I can live without.

The OP's tree looks like an elm for sure. Press the bark with your finger....it should feel a little spongy.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I never turn down elm for firewood, decent on the Btu scale; heat our house and shop and domestic hot water with an outdoor boiler so I'm not very picky with the species. Back in my younger days we burned wood to heat my parent's house and we had a fair amount of the DED that hit our woods; Dad always took elm if they were handy. Before we built a hydraulic splitter, we learned the trick to splitting elm with the maul was to wait til the temperature was below zero, the chunks would split without much trouble. 40 years later, I'm still using the same splitter, and run some elm through it pretty much every year.
    2010 - 12 taps, turkey fryer, 4 quarts
    2011 - 24 taps, homemade arch from old water tank, 16"x24" flat pan, 16+ quarts
    2012 - 9 taps, 3 pints, what a season
    2013 - 60 taps, homemade oil tank arch with 2'x4' flat pan, 16"x24" finishing pan on electric range, 55 quarts
    2014 - 80 taps, homemade oil tank arch with 2'x4' flat pan, 16"x24" finishing pan on electric range, 40 quarts
    2015 - 100 taps, 15 gallons
    2016 - 115 taps, 13.5 gallons
    2017 - 120 taps, 13 gallons
    2018 - 130 taps, 11 gallons

Johnny Yooper is spot on with the cold trick, My dad always seemed to have elm rounds for my brother and I to split on the coldest winter mornings. They were still a pain to split. the hydraulic wood splitter is the great equalizer. The best fathers day present my mom, brother, and I ever got my dad was the old tractor mounted wood splitter. I try not to cut any live elm (they can smell kind of weird/ uriney) I just wait for it to die and cut it then. Its a shame they die around here before they get too big any more, usually don't even have to split it. We would rarely burn it in the evaporator, it was always saved for home heat. I kind of question some of the btu ratings for the various native elm species I have seen in the published charts. To the original poster that is an elm tree.
    Last edited by Ed R; 06-12-2019 at 11:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12