+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Its a good day...

Default Its a good day...

...when the wood shed is full. Mine is attached to the kitchen and is large enough to fit 1.5 cord, more than years worth. Thats good cause we are growing a bit every year.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

For sure. I have my wood for next year (split to size) and the wood for 2021 waiting to be split. It does feel good.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

I've got about 3 years worth in logs, enough bucked for 2020 but will be splitting it before June is over. Right now I only have about half done for 2020.
    After burning wood for 45 years to heat my house and since 2003 making syrup, I'm thinking maybe it's time for oil (or maybe propane) on the evaporator in a year or 2.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yep nothing like full woodsheds. Sometimes we are behind the curve, like doing it in the fall. This spring we got all the house wood and sugarwood done by May 5th, around 12 cords. Now we can paint the house!
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

Ditto on the good feelings about getting the wood in - though for me that's the fall. The rounds sit under cover for about 12-18 months until then. Once sugaring is done, then there's cleanup, baseball, scouts, and everything else that was on hold for four months. Congrats on getting yours done. I'm sure I'm not the only one who takes pictures of the job once it's done. A well-stacked wood pile to the rafters is a beautiful thing.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Yep, always good to have the wood ready. I have enough split and dried left over from last year for all next year, but I will be cutting more as the summer goes on. A load or two here or there adds up. Usually my wood pile never get's touched until fall, but last year I took some to a local farm supply to sell for camp fires and smokers (all hickory) and now they are calling wanting wood. I took them a load a couple days ago. That's fine with me as I get a lot more for it bundled up for camp fires and smokers. They told me more people are coming to them and wanting my wood because it is dry and good hardwoods. I also put more wood in my bundles. My fear now is they may get too deep into my dry wood, but I like having the extra money for fun.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I've got about 3 years worth in logs, enough bucked for 2020 but will be splitting it before June is over. Right now I only have about half done for 2020.
    After burning wood for 45 years to heat my house and since 2003 making syrup, I'm thinking maybe it's time for oil (or maybe propane) on the evaporator in a year or 2.
    Wow that is a lot of years of splitting wood. Not to mention splitting for an evaporator takes twice as long as the splits are 1/2 the size as the wood stove splits.

Quote Originally Posted by hookhill View Post
    Yep nothing like full woodsheds. Sometimes we are behind the curve, like doing it in the fall. This spring we got all the house wood and sugarwood done by May 5th, around 12 cords. Now we can paint the house!
    12 cord! That is a lot of splitting.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Yes, it's a lot of wood, but I have a Super Split, It is FAST, about 1 second to split, which helps when I split it all to wrist size. The RO helped a lot too and when I got it, I started getting slow on my wood prep. Before the RO I kept 2 years split and stacked ahead, so when I got the RO, I had no wood to cut and stack for about 5 years, just using up what I had already split and stacked. Then as I needed to do more I seemed to have less urgency and didn't prep as well. I now only need to have 1.5 cord split and stacked to last even the longest season, that only takes 4-5 hrs for my BIL and me to split and stack it if the weather is dry and cool. I don't do hot and muggy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It would be satisfying to have at least completed my woodshed! Logs are sawed. Need to finish wife's chicken coop first. Woodshed and tank room addition scheduled for later this summer. Actually, it's more like a chicken palace than a coop. 2x6 rough cut pine framing too!
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread