+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning and storage of my RO Membranes

Default Cleaning and storage of my RO Membranes

Hello,

Three years ago I built a small scale RO for my 70 tap operation using plans that came from this site. It has worked flawlessly! I started with three 150 psi membranes and added a fourth this year just to help speed it up a bit....also worked well. From year one to year two I rotated the membranes so #1 membrane went into the last place and the the #3 went into the first spot, etc. I have been very good about flushing the membranes every so often during the season using hydrogen peroxide solution as described in the build instructions...again from the instructions. I did the same procedure at the beginning of each year and also at the end of each year. Then I store the membranes in the refrigerator first wrapping the wet membranes in plastic wrap and then vacuum sealing them to keep them air tight for the year. I run my little ro at 130 psi and have a pressure gauge before the #1 membrane and another gauge after the #4 membrane. I have never had any issues with pressure dropping from the first gauge to the second gauge.

So, all that said, when I looked at my membranes after this season I see that membrane #1 (three seasons under its belt) I notice that it looks pretty brown on both ends as you look at it from top and then bottom. Less discoloration on membranes #2 and #3 (also 3 seasons), and very little discoloration on the newest membrane #4 (one season of use).

Should I be doing another type of year end cleaning to try to get my membranes cleaner? If so, what is that exact process and what materials do I need? And lastly, how many years of use can I expect from my membranes?

Thanks much for any help!

Jeff
    Blue Hills Sugar Bush
    Bruce, WI

Ask the membrane manufacturer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I don't know if anyone has ever done a soap or acid wash on these home RO membranes. My recollection is that people were just replacing the membranes once the performance deteriorated. I would probably buy one new membrane just in case and plan on replacing the worst looking one every year. Sounds like you should be able to get 3-5 years with no problem.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

+ Reply to Thread