+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning and storage of my RO Membranes

Default Cleaning and storage of my RO Membranes

Hello,

Three years ago I built a small scale RO for my 70 tap operation using plans that came from this site. It has worked flawlessly! I started with three 150 psi membranes and added a fourth this year just to help speed it up a bit....also worked well. From year one to year two I rotated the membranes so #1 membrane went into the last place and the the #3 went into the first spot, etc. I have been very good about flushing the membranes every so often during the season using hydrogen peroxide solution as described in the build instructions...again from the instructions. I did the same procedure at the beginning of each year and also at the end of each year. Then I store the membranes in the refrigerator first wrapping the wet membranes in plastic wrap and then vacuum sealing them to keep them air tight for the year. I run my little ro at 130 psi and have a pressure gauge before the #1 membrane and another gauge after the #4 membrane. I have never had any issues with pressure dropping from the first gauge to the second gauge.

So, all that said, when I looked at my membranes after this season I see that membrane #1 (three seasons under its belt) I notice that it looks pretty brown on both ends as you look at it from top and then bottom. Less discoloration on membranes #2 and #3 (also 3 seasons), and very little discoloration on the newest membrane #4 (one season of use).

Should I be doing another type of year end cleaning to try to get my membranes cleaner? If so, what is that exact process and what materials do I need? And lastly, how many years of use can I expect from my membranes?

Thanks much for any help!

Jeff
    Blue Hills Sugar Bush
    Bruce, WI

Ask the membrane manufacturer.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, doing fewer each year, about 450 planned for 2020 (and after?)
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

I don't know if anyone has ever done a soap or acid wash on these home RO membranes. My recollection is that people were just replacing the membranes once the performance deteriorated. I would probably buy one new membrane just in case and plan on replacing the worst looking one every year. Sounds like you should be able to get 3-5 years with no problem.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps on buckets - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps on buckets - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps on buckets - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps on buckets - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps on buckets - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps on buckets - 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps on buckets - 18.5 gallons syrup

+ Reply to Thread