+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reusing jugs

I realize if it is illegal for resale you shouldn't do it. But refilling a cleaned out bottle with 185 degree syrup(and new lid) sounds plenty safe to me.

Clearly there are too many lawyers in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    On the same subject, I do re use my blue 5 gallon jugs. That's OK, isn't it? I wash them with hot water and re use. I presume that's what everyone else is doing...?
    Yes that is okay, I do the same as well as other producers. You can control the cleanliness of those and know that they were only used for syrup storage.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    Clearly there are too many lawyers in the world...
    I am sure the "laws" are designed to protect the consumer from the reuse of a bottle that was say used to store something like model airplane fuel after the maple syrup was consumed from it.

Even so I have to say that their is way way way too much time and law spent on the hysteria of seeing to it that maple products are clean. I.E. making sure sugar makers are not peeing on their finished product, and that they have a nearby bathroom.

Those people in the central valley that pick your strawberries **** in a bag and barely wipe their hands and then go pick more berries.

Last time I checked they don't boil them at 219 degrees before they put them in the package for sale.

Its absolutely ridiculous if you compare maple syrup to the rest of the food industry and ( Fish, Meat, Vegetables ) and the possibilities that may manifest and do manifest themselves on that frontier.

For example botulinum has not about a 1 in 600 trillion chance of successfully setting up shop in a maple syrup bottle.

O how those odds change with most other foods.

Has anybody ever been in the back of some of our mom and pop food processing institutions? Be warned if you do you will eat maple syrup for the rest of your life. Dirty bottle or clean!!!

It seems to me the law should be used where it actually means something and ignored where it does not.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    It seems to me the law should be used where it actually means something and ignored where it does not.
    That is pretty much how it works now. Maple syrup production hygiene/food safety is not considered to be a serious threat in the grand scheme of things, and a great deal more effort is focused in areas where it can have huge consequences for health (meat, produce, dairy). However that doesn't mean that we should all disregard the rules just because we make syrup. I'm sure we've all toured a few sugarhouses that we would choose NOT to consume the syrup from. You would be absolutely amazed at some of the things that happen, some just accidently, some on purpose, some due to a "who care's" attitude, and others because people are dirt-blind.

Getting back to the original post...it comes down to the "intended use." Consumer retail containers are designed for single-use, so refilling is not recommended and may be illegal in some areas. The 5-gal plastic jugs/cans are typically multiple use, as are many drums, so can be cleaned and reused.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Not legal here in Ontario to reuse any containers,were having this discussion around camp fire last night. Pretty sure beer or alcoholic bottles get reused continually,yet I have seen drunks piss in their bottles when they are done with them
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    I'm sure we've all toured a few sugarhouses that we would choose NOT to consume the syrup from.
    Yes I would agree with that but ...

Its a good thing the rest of the food industry does not open their doors to the public.

People would never eat again or only produce their own food.

While there product taste great, I struggle with a local small grocery store here in Hopewell Junction NY, every single time I see behind the curtain.

And badly!
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12