+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reusing jugs

Default Reusing jugs

Just curious how many people re use plastic jugs. I have customer that wants to give me an bunch of used ones but I really don't like the idea. I've reused some of the ones I've used but getting then and not knowing how they were cleaned afterwards is not something I think I want to risk my reputation for syrup on.

I dont believe that legally you can reuse any container, ethically I kinda say it's not a good practice, I have reused glass but I dont sell it I will give it away as gifts.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

We explain to customers we can not reuse containers but take them back with a smile and throw them in recycling bin when we get home.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Any syrup that I sell retail goes out in a new jug or bottle with a new cap. I would never reuse a jug that was returned to me from a customer.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I bottle everything in glass except a few special orders for folks taking syrup to Europe. I re-use plenty of jugs, which I wash, and are as clean as surgical instruments. That's the beauty of glass.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I already believed. Jugs aren't cheap, but neither is loosing a customer due to improper packaging. I will say we have never had a problem reusing jugs for our own syrup but we know how they were handled and stored.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    I bottle everything in glass except a few special orders for folks taking syrup to Europe. I re-use plenty of jugs, which I wash, and are as clean as surgical instruments. That's the beauty of glass.
    not legal to reuse
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmad View Post
    Thanks everyone for confirming what I already believed. Jugs aren't cheap, but neither is loosing a customer due to improper packaging.
    Or losing a lawsuit from some foreign substance getting in there. just defending such a suit even if you win the lawsuit, the cost to defend it could put you in the poor house. Don't risk it. Even with glass unless you have a state inspected bottle washer that is certified and approved.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Per New Hampshire State Dept of Ag, you CAN refill a customers jug or pickle jar or Jerry can all day long. You cannot can product in recycled containers for sale though, obviously! Recognize this thread is NY, we all need to check in with our respective state Ag depts.

Default 5 gallong jugs?

On the same subject, I do re use my blue 5 gallon jugs. That's OK, isn't it? I wash them with hot water and re use. I presume that's what everyone else is doing...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast