+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A time for education

Default A time for education

This was my first year for making syrup. I jumped in with all hands and feet by buying the equipment and setting up 170 taps on bags/buckets. I have literally no maple trees on my property so I approached area farmers and property owners to tap on trade for syrup. I had been trying to reach my last property owner to settle up, I was finally able to get a hold of them and I was blown away with their compensation request. The request was $50 per tree, $50x15=$750 plus 1 container of syrup for each tree equaling 15 containers. After I digested the request and moved through my emotional ranges I made my phone call. In the end we settled on $1.60 a tap and some syrup, in addition we have established a repeat business relationship. I have realized in my area many property owners are not a tune to tapping agreements, although they are extremely happy when I hand them fresh maple syrup, one lady started to cry.
    In the end staying calm and listening to the property owner and being willing to compromise to a degree I have 15 maple yard trees which are 2-3 taps each and throw 4% to tap for the near future.

I really appreciate the education I've gotten on this site.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you agreed to that deal, I've got about 5,000 taps I'd like to rent to you.

Glad to hear you were able to do some educating and come to a more reasonable solution.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread