+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for cleaning lines

Default Idea for cleaning lines

So I've been reading and thinking on this subject for awhile. I'd like a simple way to flush and sanitize my 3/16 lines from the bottom end of my mainline with a pump and calcium hypochlorite. If I left the drops in the t and opened top tap I don't think the liquid would make it in the drop line due to the air in it. I was wondering if I drilled a small pin hole in each t where the drop plugs into keeper cup and plug drops into them.so the air would be able to escape and the drop could fill with very little cleaner leaking out, this way the drop could have a longer contact with cleaning agent to kill the bacteria. Any thoughts or input appreciated.
    Last edited by doop; 05-04-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    3x8 drop flue
    300 taps on 3/16

doop,
    Seems like that might work. Good idea! Haven't thought of a down side yet?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

How long is each line, how many taps and how much elevation gain is there? I don't think pumping uphill through 3/16 lines will work very well. A lot of friction loss in that small of a tube. I think you would be better off pinching off the line just below the bottom tap, go to the top with a back pack sprayer and fill the lines that way.

Good idea but you just made a leak for next season in every tee. I think the lateral would get cleaned but to assume the drop would get cleaning solution in it and sent out to the last tap might be a stretch. You may be onto something here so don't give up on it, you're right you have an idea for sure.
    Scott Knapp
    5x14 Pellet Evaporator
    3200 Taps 2021
    1700 Taps 2019
    3/16 Gravity 1000 Taps
    5/16 Vacuum 2200 Taps
    Northern NY (Canadian border north)
    sknapp6978@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Knapps-Sapp...0168377726255/

The hole would go in the cup that holds the tap for the off season, so it wouldn't create a future leak as it doesn't connect to the lateral. I wish it was easier to post pics on here. I may try later, but I have to run for now. The tees I'm referring to are the cdl health tee/with cup.
    3x8 drop flue
    300 taps on 3/16

I have 2 20 gallon poly water tanks that I carry on my atv for sap collection. I took one, hooked up one of my shurflo pumps to it and the battery I use for a remote vac system. plumbed it in at the top of my runs where the vac guage would be. Starting at the top I plugged the taps into the tees (note i started with all the taps pulled and just hanging) so the water was just pushed further down the line. My runs are 4 - 800 ft long. I walk down the line, plugging the taps as I go, get to the end and let the line run for a few more minutes and then turn around and go , back, unplugging as I go. Get to the top and disconnect everything. I have about a 75-100 ft elevation change from the shack to the top of the hill. I still need to sanitize the lines but at least they are flushed with fresh water for now.
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

I guess I thought you were drilling the base of the tee in my response. Drilling the side of the cup might be a great idea if you have enough pressure to make it through the whole lateral
    Scott Knapp
    5x14 Pellet Evaporator
    3200 Taps 2021
    1700 Taps 2019
    3/16 Gravity 1000 Taps
    5/16 Vacuum 2200 Taps
    Northern NY (Canadian border north)
    sknapp6978@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Knapps-Sapp...0168377726255/

If you don't add air to help the cleaning solution climb you might never reach the top if you have lots of elevation climb.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by sg5054 View Post
    I have 2 20 gallon poly water tanks that I carry on my atv for sap collection. I took one, hooked up one of my shurflo pumps to it and the battery I use for a remote vac system. plumbed it in at the top of my runs where the vac guage would be. Starting at the top I plugged the taps into the tees (note i started with all the taps pulled and just hanging) so the water was just pushed further down the line. My runs are 4 - 800 ft long. I walk down the line, plugging the taps as I go, get to the end and let the line run for a few more minutes and then turn around and go , back, unplugging as I go. Get to the top and disconnect everything. I have about a 75-100 ft elevation change from the shack to the top of the hill. I still need to sanitize the lines but at least they are flushed with fresh water for now.
    This would seem like it would be the most practical solution. I have been thinking about this as well as I look at installing 3/16" lines in my woods. Fortunately, I have trails that lead up back that would allow me to get water up there and pump water through. If I did this early enough each season (post sap running) I could try and capitalize on cleaning them before the lines get too inundated with dry debris.
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Besides the sanitizing chemical itself, the most important factor in sanitizing tubing with chemicals is to ensure adequate contact time of the solution with the tubing in order to achieve a good "kill" rate. You want a period of at least 5-10 min if at all possible. Less than that and the effectiveness decreases. How you achieve that is more situational and will depend upon your particular setup, access, and equipment.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast