+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Membrane questions

Default Membrane questions

Hi All, Hope everyone had a good sapping season. What I'm looking to find out is two things. First off on a 4x40 membrane can it be used both directions? What I mean is can you move the seal to the groove on the other end, turn it end for end and and run it? My second question is: At the end of my RO use I flushed it with tons of permeate water and meant to get it cleaned up and pull the membranes and get them in sodium metabisulfate but then I got sick. Real sick. It was just a couple days ago that I felt up to tearing it down. When I did pull the membranes out they smelled bad. I flushed them out good with fresh water and got them in the storage tubes with the pickling sauce. I'm thinking tomorrow I am going to pull them out and flush them again and put them back in some fresh sauce. My question is, Do you guys think they are ruined or not??? Opinions please!
    Thanks!!!

Definitly not ruined. I never hurts to give them a soap wash before putting them away.
    The membrane storage solution is a disinfectant so no bacteria will grow in it or survive if it’s mixed properly.
    If you can give them a good proper soap wash and rinse. Then put them away for the year.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I'd suggest a full soap wash, then an acid wash, followed by a soap wash, then a long rinse with permeate, then put them in the preservative. That end of season acid wash should be 2-4 weeks long.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread