+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cupolas, Cupolas, Cupolas

What material is best to use when building a cupola? With all the steam generated I would think you would need a good waterproof wood??
    In the past I have used MDF boards called "Miratech" or "MiraTEC". It's supposed to be super weather/waterproof. Wonder if this stuff would be good for cupolas?

Maybe with the exception of Red Oak, which rots very quickly, I think any wood will work.

Ours is hemlock, as is the rest of the framing and siding on the sugar house.

Cupola "doors" are maple I had sawn up from a tree on the property.

Although lots of steam passes through, there's still lots of air movement up there.

cupola doors.jpg
    Last edited by johnallin; 05-02-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add picture
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I agree and have always said a cupola sets a sugarhouse apart from every other building on the farm, or in the neighborhood! No pressure treated stuff in mine- all hemlock I believe. Yes, it's wet to the touch during and after a boil for a while but it dries out quickly.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Mine's built with pine and it's still solid after 19 seasons. It does have a metal roof but the studs are rough cut 2x4's and the doors and ends are rough cut 1" boards.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    What material is best to use when building a cupola? With all the steam generated I would think you would need a good waterproof wood??
    In the past I have used MDF boards called "Miratech" or "MiraTEC". It's supposed to be super weather/waterproof. Wonder if this stuff would be good for cupolas?
    M y cupola was built in 1957 out of hemlock and is as good as the day it was built.

Lets keep this thread going even though you already convinced me to add a Cupola.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Depends what type of environment you want inside when boiling? Cupola works and looks like a sugarhouse. But if you want the steam out you need hoods and steam pipes. Now they could vent into a Cupola too. I choose not to have another big hole (cupola) and went with steam pipes to vent. Very dry in our sugarhouse and visibility is good on all days.
    Just another view point. I had boiled in the rain forest for years prior to building this sugarhouse. Have not regretted it!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I guess the reason I thought the steam would rot the wood is because I have 3 cupolas on my detached garage (and one on my house garage). Cupolas on detached garage are about 5 years old. I built them myself and last year I had to replace one because the base rotted. I looked up there one day and the cupola was leaning to one side. The other 2 cupolas were fine, just that one had problems. I replaced it using pine. The treated wood I was going to use was to wet to paint so used pine and so far it's good.

About 20 years ago I replaced the one on my house garage. That one was starting to decay. But if you keep templates of the ones you build, replacing them is no problem.

I built a Cuppola with 2'x7' operating windows covered with Rigid Greenhouse plastic sheeting. I also closed in a Steam Chimney with the same plastic sheeting and the Steam just rolls up and out!! Couldn't have worked better. Two boat winches and some pulleys open and close them. Sorry no photo of finished Cuppola other than the end by the Chimney. See photos sugarshack9.jpg sugarshack8.jpg sugarshack7.jpg
    Yep, I'd TAP That !!!

325 Buckets
    2x6 Drop Flue Set
    Home Built Arch ~ The Battleship
    16'x26' Sugar Shanty ~ New 2016
    Bombardier SW48 with 300 gallon tank

found some Cuppola photos showing windows, crank system comfy Sappin' Chair and a View from the Cuppola!! IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1297.jpg IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1274 (1).JPG
    Last edited by SuzukiSapper; 02-19-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Yep, I'd TAP That !!!

325 Buckets
    2x6 Drop Flue Set
    Home Built Arch ~ The Battleship
    16'x26' Sugar Shanty ~ New 2016
    Bombardier SW48 with 300 gallon tank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast