+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pull Spouts or Not???

Default Pull Spouts or Not???

I recently saw a maple tubing operation that leaves the spouts in the trees until they return to tap the next season. Then, they cut off the old spout and replace it with a new one. Of course they drill new holes and dispose of the old spouts properly. Any opinions if this harms the tree or possibly helps the tree? What about the dirty tubing? Saves a lot of labor...

I've always felt that the sooner that I can get the taps pulled the sooner the tree can begin to heal. I feel that leaving the old taps in for a year is hurting the tree by delaying the healing process.

I don't wash my tubing and use a new CV2 spout every year and don't see any advantage to washing the tubing like I used to do. The sap in the tubing turns to vinegar and has is some cleaning effect. When I washed my tubing I would get algae growth which was harder to clean than the sludge caused by the old sap. I let the first run, which usually isn't much, run on the ground to flush the tubing.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Here is the way I look at it, when you at shot at the doctors do they leave the needle in after the shot? The tree grew without the spout in it adding a foreign object to the tree even for a short peiod of time is really not in the trees best interest. I know that the seasonal taps are sterile to start, but bacteria is still present for sure.
    Scott Knapp
    5x14 Pellet Evaporator
    3200 Taps 2021
    1700 Taps 2019
    3/16 Gravity 1000 Taps
    5/16 Vacuum 2200 Taps
    Northern NY (Canadian border north)
    sknapp6978@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Knapps-Sapp...0168377726255/

Russell is right on. Pull the taps so that the tree can start to heal. Many of these guys that leave taps in have no respect for the trees that future generations will tap.

As far as cleaning, it is a total waste of time. Like Russ said, the sap will turn to an acid and help clean the tubing when it does come out. Plain water will turn to algae! Chlorine will harm your RO membranes and make your syrup taste like @^%$*! I just let the first 200 gallons go on the ground.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

I'm quite certain this practice does not help the tree... Removing the tap as quickly as possible does give the tree a chance to heal more quickly. I have on occasion missed a tap or two when pulling in the the spring. Come the following spring the taphole in those cases was noticeably less "healed" than in cases where the spout was quickly pulled.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by maplwrks View Post
    Russell is right on. Pull the taps so that the tree can start to heal. Many of these guys that leave taps in have no respect for the trees that future generations will tap.

As far as cleaning, it is a total waste of time. Like Russ said, the sap will turn to an acid and help clean the tubing when it does come out. Plain water will turn to algae! Chlorine will harm your RO membranes and make your syrup taste like @^%$*! I just let the first 200 gallons go on the ground.
    Thank you Mike! I wish we had a "Like" button!
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I totally agree with Russ and Mike.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I'm quite certain this practice does not help the tree... Removing the tap as quickly as possible does give the tree a chance to heal more quickly. I have on occasion missed a tap or two when pulling in the the spring. Come the following spring the taphole in those cases was noticeably less "healed" than in cases where the spout was quickly pulled.
    My uncle, before I took over the woods, would occasionally leave his taps in. And he had many years of tappings for me to observe. The ones from years left in seem to be very obvious to me. They all do eventually heal over, but there are some that remain deeply divotted and are just slow in filling in and healing over. And its pretty consistent through the woods. Also, Im actually adding new lines, a few a year and beginning to cycle some of the older ones out or at least give them a break for a year or so as some are almost girdled and poorly patterned when tapped.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

Leaving taps in over the summer is up there with not brushing your teeth over the summer !

While I have not hoot of a toot of a degree in Biology ... I strongly advise against it.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Yeah I think anyone who intentionally does this has no respect whatsoever for the trees and sugarmaking in general. To the original poster, are you sure this actually happened? I cant believe anyone would do this intentionally. I could see if it happened one year maybe due to a tragedy or other issue in the sugarmaker's family and they had other things to worry about.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast