+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hanna Digital Refratometer all over the map

Default Hanna Digital Refratometer all over the map

Was checking syrup that we were rebottling today,refractomer was reading 67.4, then 68.3 ,then 69.7, then70.1 .....what gives? Then I noticed when I turned it on showed battery power at 35, put in a new battery,power at 91, now readings at 66.7,66.9 ,now that’s more like it.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Was checking syrup that we were rebottling today,refractomer was reading 67.4, then 68.3 ,then 69.7, then70.1 .....what gives? Then I noticed when I turned it on showed battery power at 35, put in a new battery,power at 91, now readings at 66.7,66.9 ,now that’s more like it.
    I have found best results are done right at kitchen table , syrup and hanna are at room temp.

We've found that we need to give it a few minutes to settle before getting an accurate reading.

I have had some erratic readings on my Hanna as well. Talked to them at maple show this week and they said the syrup has to be at room temperature for accurate reading. A little frustrating because I always want to know as soon as I've pressed it what it is I'm bottling up but at least I now know.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Refractometers, like any tool, have to be used correctly to give good results. Low power may lead to erratic readings. Temperature of the syrup and the instrument have to be the same and NOT changing quickly (either cold syrup or hot syrup or cold/hot instrument). Trying to get a good quick measurement from really hot (or really cold) syrup is an exercise in futility and frustration.

One thing I don't like about the Hannah unit is that it doesn't have a cover. If you put hot syrup in the well, there can be some evaporation of water from hot syrup before the temperature stabilizes.

In comparing hand-held optical and digital units...they're all fairly close in terms of accuracy ASSUMING THEY ARE USED PROPERLY. Just make sure to use an automatically-temperature-compensated unit (ATC) or take measurements only at room temperature after the syrup and the instrument have cooled/warmed to room temperature.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread