+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opinions on syrup taste

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Everything a maple producer does, from the tap to the bottle, affects the flavor of their syrup. And we all think ours is the best. Flavor is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that affect maple syrup flavor. While it would be possible to compare various production methods with sap from one woods, it would be impossible to compare the results to other sugarbushes and operations. Many producers, including myself, have changed production methods through the years as has been mentioned. Many report little to no change in overall flavor.

When I hear people say that they don't like syrup that was made with an ro, or with an oil-fired rig, or with defoamer etc... I have to wonder.. Is it the flavor they don't like, or is it the idea of whatever it is that puts them off? The mind is a powerful thing, and for those that prefer their own personal intuition over rational analysis of facts, they may not be able to get beyond whatever they have convinced themselves of.

Different producers have different perspectives as well. A bulk producer may want to be set up to make as much light syrup as they can to maximize profit. A retail producer of value added products, like myself, may want to make a variety of grades and flavors of syrup for packing in jugs and for making products with. Two different producers may also have very different standards as well. Once again, many variables.

In my opinion, all maple syrup is different for many reasons and this should be celebrated and not seen as a way to belittle other producers and their products. Myself and my customers are the ultimate judges of my syrup, as well as the local agricultural fair. The fact that people keep coming back for more is all I need to let me know that my syrup and products are good. The blue ribbons help as well.
    This thread was started by the original author Heus asking opinions on taste. The following is my opinion ,all be it a strong one.

In 2004 when I was building my log cabin in the Maine wilderness my closest neighbor Jim who was boiling sap on a fifty five gallon drum trekked over and invited me for pancakes. The next day I showed up at his place for breakfast. He had a quart mason jar filled mostly with syrup he just made. I say mostly because the bottom quarter was sticks ,bark and moths. I poured it out onto my plate sticks and all and tried it. MAPLE SYRUP is actually good I exclaimed in my head! Previous to this moment the syrup I had always had was pure maple syrup from a grocery store. Which never had much of any flavor . That sent me on my journey to strive to make a living producing and selling maple syrup. When I started out I thought that I wanted an RO because that's what most people use.Another neighbor told me not to use it that I would not like the taste.Seeings how he had 50+ years experience making syrup I figured I would have to check that out. I then went on a mission to find out what really effects maple flavor. Over the course of the next couple years I made it a point to try syrup from many different producers.

To Make a long story short I now cut about 35 cord a year to make my syrup which is close to my full time living. I don't cut all that wood when I could use RO and only cut 7 cord because I am a head case.

I am the one that gets laughed at ever time I tell a producer face to face that I cut 35 cord a year to make my syrup. I do all my laughing on the inside because I know from experience if I mention taste they get mad.

I have had this conversation with Sam and Bruce Bascom. Bruce insist that he likes syrup that has been mixed from many different producers. I find that a lot of people say that single source is best. The different ways of making syrup taste different are probably endless.

Quote Originally Posted by log cabin luke View Post
    I have had this conversation with Sam and Bruce Bascom. Bruce insist that he likes syrup that has been mixed from many different producers. I find that a lot of people say that single source is best. The different ways of making syrup taste different are probably endless.
    It stands to reason that a wholesaler would want a product that is consistent, first and foremost.

The rest of us want the best product we can make, or at least the best we can make within the confines of time and $$.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread