+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on syrup taste

Quote Originally Posted by log cabin luke View Post
    I know the rig from coarse maple. My rig is nothing like it. There is no one in the world with the same evap as mine. I invented it. There are multiple flue pans on different levels and my special preheater that no one else has. I welded the entire arch my self and raised the 43 foot stack with a little help from my friends.It took 3 years to make and put all together in my spare time. Its one of a kind and makes great syrup. The sap boil for a ridiculously long time. It takes 270 gallons of sap to fill. I love running it.I can walk under the back flue pan if I crouch down a little.
    Cool!
    I must have misunderstood and thought it sounded similar to the Coarse rig

Quote Originally Posted by PerryFamily View Post
    Cool!
    I must have misunderstood and thought it sounded similar to the Coarse rig
    No worries. I suppose it sounds similar but it is very different. I was obsessed with building it for 3 years. Its a lot of fun to run. I get some serious exercise running around the thing in a normal ten hour boil. I find the only down side is to get to the other side of the syrup pan I have to travel more than 20 feet which is a dash when its over flowing.

Everything a maple producer does, from the tap to the bottle, affects the flavor of their syrup. And we all think ours is the best. Flavor is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that affect maple syrup flavor. While it would be possible to compare various production methods with sap from one woods, it would be impossible to compare the results to other sugarbushes and operations. Many producers, including myself, have changed production methods through the years as has been mentioned. Many report little to no change in overall flavor.

When I hear people say that they don't like syrup that was made with an ro, or with an oil-fired rig, or with defoamer etc... I have to wonder.. Is it the flavor they don't like, or is it the idea of whatever it is that puts them off? The mind is a powerful thing, and for those that prefer their own personal intuition over rational analysis of facts, they may not be able to get beyond whatever they have convinced themselves of.

Different producers have different perspectives as well. A bulk producer may want to be set up to make as much light syrup as they can to maximize profit. A retail producer of value added products, like myself, may want to make a variety of grades and flavors of syrup for packing in jugs and for making products with. Two different producers may also have very different standards as well. Once again, many variables.

In my opinion, all maple syrup is different for many reasons and this should be celebrated and not seen as a way to belittle other producers and their products. Myself and my customers are the ultimate judges of my syrup, as well as the local agricultural fair. The fact that people keep coming back for more is all I need to let me know that my syrup and products are good. The blue ribbons help as well.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Well that about sums it up,not much to add. Well said General

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Everything a maple producer does, from the tap to the bottle, affects the flavor of their syrup. And we all think ours is the best. Flavor is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that affect maple syrup flavor. While it would be possible to compare various production methods with sap from one woods, it would be impossible to compare the results to other sugarbushes and operations. Many producers, including myself, have changed production methods through the years as has been mentioned. Many report little to no change in overall flavor.

When I hear people say that they don't like syrup that was made with an ro, or with an oil-fired rig, or with defoamer etc... I have to wonder.. Is it the flavor they don't like, or is it the idea of whatever it is that puts them off? The mind is a powerful thing, and for those that prefer their own personal intuition over rational analysis of facts, they may not be able to get beyond whatever they have convinced themselves of.

Different producers have different perspectives as well. A bulk producer may want to be set up to make as much light syrup as they can to maximize profit. A retail producer of value added products, like myself, may want to make a variety of grades and flavors of syrup for packing in jugs and for making products with. Two different producers may also have very different standards as well. Once again, many variables.

In my opinion, all maple syrup is different for many reasons and this should be celebrated and not seen as a way to belittle other producers and their products. Myself and my customers are the ultimate judges of my syrup, as well as the local agricultural fair. The fact that people keep coming back for more is all I need to let me know that my syrup and products are good. The blue ribbons help as well.

Excellent post GeneralStark! I agree that syrup from one producer to the next can taste different but I don't believe anyone, with any degree of accuracy, can tell what production method was used to produce a sample of syrup in a blind taste test.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post

Nothing to add, very well said. this post touches on everything from production to marketing to ones own perception. Everyone is different and the variables that come into play make the syrup you make yours! Find a market (even if its only your kitchen table) and enjoy.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Never met a Maple syrup that I didn't love.
    I really have never bought a jar of syrup, but I have traded a few times and received as a gift a few times and I loved it all equally. I did receive a jar from a hobbyist this year from Connecticut that in my opinion had a hint of vanilla flavor to it.
    I myself batch boil on a 36 X 42 flat pan which usually cooks for the better part of 2 days straight before doing a draw off. Even with that process, sometimes I get a remarkably light syrup.IMG_5681.jpg IMG_5705.jpg
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Firstly, the General's post was perfect. No further comment needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    Secondly, I wish I could say that. One of the aspects of this job that is quite pleasant is getting to taste great syrup. One of the aspects that is not good is tasting not so good syrup. Oftentimes the best way to troubleshoot off-flavor issues in samples people send us is by tasting...not all of those experiences are fun.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    I agree with Dr Tim on this one. I've made syrup I didn't love - and that's when we shut down, opened the valves and called it a season. If I won't put my name on it I won't make it!

I do love all syrup - from the lightest Golden Delicate to the darkest Very Dark Strong I enjoy it all! I have a preference when given a choice but I'll never say no to real maple syrup!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Firstly, the General's post was perfect. No further comment needed.

Secondly, I wish I could say that. One of the aspects of this job that is quite pleasant is getting to taste great syrup. One of the aspects that is not good is tasting not so good syrup. Oftentimes the best way to troubleshoot off-flavor issues in samples people send us is by tasting...not all of those experiences are fun.

Seems to be they could be a tad bit dangerous as well!
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast