+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO for Dummies - Step by Step RO design help please.

Thanks for all the explanation, Bowhunter... I appreciate you taking the time.
    I've always been a "need to understand it before I build it" kind of guy... and not so much into copying or buying someone else work...
    In some ways it might seem like a redundant waste of time... because lots of system designs have been tried and tested...
    I have always been able to get my "rush" from the study/imagine/design/build/troubleshoot/perfect process. I love to tinker.
    Had the opportunity to develop and built lots of different machines and processes for manufacturing at work... At home, built boilers, oil burners, Geothermal, etc...
    Millwright and Electrician by trade, but I have a desk job now, for the most part... and don't get as much chance to scratch my itch.
    This RO thing is proving to be a little challenging at first... Little too much "Chemistry" for my comfort level.... but I will get there. Good thing I have several months to think about it....
    I found an exercise to work through, at this link... Not though it yet... but I am learning some of the basics of osmotic pressure and its calculations....
    https://www.thoughtco.com/calculate-...example-609518

Thanks again.
    Last edited by wmick; 05-02-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Thanks for all the explanation, Bowhunter... I appreciate you taking the time.
    I've always been a "need to understand it before I build it" kind of guy... and not so much into copying or buying someone else work...
    In some ways it might seem like a redundant waste of time... because lots of system designs have been tried and tested...
    I have always been able to get my "rush" from the study/imagine/design/build/troubleshoot/perfect process. I love to tinker.
    Had the opportunity to develop and built lots of different machines and processes for manufacturing at work... At home, built boilers, oil burners, Geothermal, etc...
    Millwright and Electrician by trade, but I have a desk job now, for the most part... and don't get as much chance to scratch my itch.
    This RO thing is proving to be a little challenging at first... Little too much "Chemistry" for my comfort level.... but I will get there. Good thing I have several months to think about it....
    I found an exercise to work through, at this link... Not though it yet... but I am learning some of the basics of osmotic pressure and its calculations....
    https://www.thoughtco.com/calculate-...example-609518

Thanks again.
    Don't let it throw you. Ive been two and a half years wrapping my head around the concepts behind the RO. Ive had Chem in school. Ive got a degree in Bio. Ive worked as a FF/Paramedic and have a good understanding of basic hydraulics from the fire service. I tried to build one with too much membrane and too little pump at first. Still consulting with the guys that know more here then myself. Ive got a few more mods for my home built for next year, but mine worked great for what I needed this year.

Hats off to the gang here that understand ROs, pioneer the homemade and freely offer help like bowhunter.
    Last edited by Mark B; 05-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

I agree. I've been checking up on these recent "RO" threads and following them steadily myself all while messaging folks to learn more as well. I love building my own tools to help complete the job; wood splitter, arch, and now hopefully an RO. All with the ultimate goal of saving me precious time with a family of three kids and a very demanding job during sugaring season. I don't mind the hard work in the least like most, it's the time that is very hard to come by for me. I appreciate everyone's info on the subject!
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

For all the home-builders of RO, I say just go for it. There's enough info on here for free to build one and be successful right out of the gate. I have 4 seasons on mine and I did not fully understand it when I started. But it worked and now I understand it much better. You
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Good call!

Now the next new thread should be "how to fund your hobby RO build"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mead Maple; 05-03-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

Using RO to remove water from sap is pretty fool proof and about any combination will work after a fashion. There are some things to avoid because you can damage the membrane or destroy the membrane. First make sure you have the plumbing correct. If you plumb the permeate connections into the pressure side you can destroy the membrane...several people of this forum have experienced this as soon as they tried to operate it for the first time. If the flow through the membrane is too low it will foul quickly and it can get to a point that soap washing will not recover the performance. After using the membrane on sap it must be flushed thoroughly before letting it sit. If it's going to sit a couple of weeks it should be soap washed. Biological growth can also damage the membrane. You must never rinse the membrane with water containing chlorine such as city water because chlorine will damage the membrane. When soap washing it is imperative that the pH is kept at or below 12.0 and it is equally imperative that the temperature be managed. I believe most membranes have a maximum temperature limit of 114 F. High pH and temperature can damage the membrane. If you protect the membrane the system will do what it's designed to do and it beats splitting wood.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

[QUOTE=bowhunter If you protect the membrane the system will do what it's designed to do and it beats splitting wood.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and not having to tend 12 hour boils is my ultimate goal as well. I'm not necessarily needing barrels of syrup but not making this a full time non-paying hobby would be my goal.
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12