+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best time of year to prune maples?

Default Best time of year to prune maples?

What is the best time of year to prune maples? I have a couple of trees growing right beside the sugar house/ storage tank shed that have branches hanging over the roof,one is almost tappable,the other quite a bit smaller. I would like to remove a couple of limbs before they get to big to fall off many years from now and damage the sugar house,as well as taking some limbs off should weight the trees to lean away from the buildings.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I think probably late summer after new growth is hardening off. The tree is done growing and it still has some growth weather to heal the wound.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Thanks Buckeye, like probably Labor Day
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I agree with Buckeye on this one, even after looking at some arborist type site and their info.
    Having said that, on non current crop trees here (i don't tap these maples, could tho), I have pruned at uh, not the right time, lol. Spring even, and early summer too.
    They took it, and didn't really miss a beat as far as I can tell. It was usually to create space for dying and dead ash trees to fall in the woods without risking taking out the whole maple with it. I guess what I'm saying is that at least in my experience they can be pretty tough and come back fine. I do it when I have to and when I have the time. Just my 2 cents, I know its not optimal. Good Luck!

My father-in-law was a logger and arborist for many years. He always said to prune or trim in any month with an "r". I always followed his advice and never had any of the trees die or be harmed by doing it this way. They always sealed very quickly. We once took the tops of an old silver maple off because the homeowner did not want to remove the whole tree, but didn't want the upper limbs to fall on his house. These trees are still alive and well today with many new small branch growth at the top.

The letter "r" months are also the only months that you will not have success transplanting trees, maybe an old wives tale? I tried moving some little maples in May one year, they all died, so I'm sorta convinced that it is true don't mess with them in MAY, JUNE, JULY or AUGUST.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread