+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 275 gallon totes.

The only totes I ever used originally had one of the following in them and I got them from that user: Pure vanilla extract, apple juice concentrate, white grape juice concentrate, canola oil or Safflower oil. I never tried any others. Then I used each from 2-3 seasons and then sold them to a local horse farmer who used them to haul water for their horses.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by UB29 View Post
    Mead,
    Do you remember where you got the reducing fitting at the tank outlet? I just bought a couple of Mauser totes with what looks like some kind of spin tight threads on the valve outlet. Definitely not IPS or NPT threads.
    Thanks, Bill
    Your most likely looking at Buttress treads, Google search Buttress to Npt adapter. The Pik and shovel in newport vt was stocking them, they are a CDL store, you could try them.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Garden hose bulkhead fitting. I got mine right ACE Hardware. I think could be bought just about anywhere and offered in many different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

I used them for sap storage for several years. As others have mentioned, they have some quirks. I've moved on to using a stainless bulk dairy tank.

For me, the biggest problem was cleaning them. Mine originally had olive oil in them, & it took me forever to get the old, gooey rancid crud out from them. Keep in mind, (unless you alter it) you are cleaning this thing all through a 9" opening at the top. I ended up rigging a scrub brush on a mop handle bent like a hockey stick to scrub out the corners. It took a huge amount of dish detergent & hot water to finally get it clean.

For fittings, you'll want to find a Buttress-to-NPT or garden hose adapter. They can be found online.

Do not rely on the built in valve. Use a proper gate valve after the Buttress adapter. The ones molded into the outlet will seize up or leak.

These tanks have no temperature buffering at all. If you leave it half full of sap during a cold snap, you will have a giant ice cube. That can be very frustrating. I used heat tape spiralled around the valve to keep that operational.

Be very particular about what they had in them before. Food grade materials obviously, but I wouldn't buy one that had garlic, or some other strong flavoring. The ideal contents would be vanilla, or maybe corn syrup. Trust your nose.

I found the one that I used specifically for sap had just a sugar based product used for the making of baby formula. Rinsed our like nothing

I did give a bladder to a friend that had fat content in it and was super oily. I used a commercial grade pressure washer with the capability to reach above 180 degrees Fahrenheit. That was the ticket with dish soap, then cold rinse and it was spotless. Not many folks have access to that but it will cut through and sanitize all at the same time

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

I looked for food grade when I bought mine. Ended up getting them from a guy that worked ad a large brewery. They had food grade additive in them and were all cleaned out from the brewery. I ended up cutting a hole in the top to fit a 5 gallon pail, this makes the totes easier to clean. I'm able to reach in with a bulk tank brush and scrub it well.

I got a manhole size cover from snyder industries. You just cut the opening in the tote and then screw the cover onto the tote. the cover itself has a large manhole size opening or you can use the six inch center opening, works real well for me.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    I got a manhole size cover from snyder industries. You just cut the opening in the tote and then screw the cover onto the tote. the cover itself has a large manhole size opening or you can use the six inch center opening, works real well for me.
    Great idea, what did that run your roughly?

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

How can i go from the 2 inch npt thread to 2 inch pvc?
    Thanks Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

If you mean 2" glue PVC, just go to either Lowe's or Home depot, they carry an adapter to do that, if you mean to 2" flexable PVC, go to a larger plumbing store and get a pipe thread to insert adapter. The insert end will not fit easily until you get it turned down by someone who has a lathe. If you go that route have them make to starting end slightly smaller and the end as the pipe is fully inserted slightly larger that the pipe I.D., then push it on and use a SS band clamp.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast