+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latest thinking on 5/16 lateral length and number of taps with diaphragm pump

Default Latest thinking on 5/16 lateral length and number of taps with diaphragm pump

I've run 3/4 manline, around 500', on my moderately flat bush (2.5% slope on average). Shurflo 4008 at the low spot in the middle; tee'd with 225' to one side and 250' to the other. My laterals (about 20) pick up 100 taps and are actually fairly short. Best vac I saw this season was mid teens and Im sure the system is tight. Im thinking about taking 50-100' off either end of the Mainline and increasing the 5/16th length and slope in hopes to decrease the area/work the little shurflo has to evacuate air from. Some of my laterals may end up about 50' long to get to my revised mainline and I may combine a couple to cut down on # of saddles.

Need to figure this out, as I may place a new mainline on my inlaws property and run a shurflo there as well (could grow to 200+ taps). Other then the outlay and maintenance the setup on the property, there are no other expenses... just have to give a brother in law some of the sap so he can boil on his set up.

All thoughts are welcome.
    Last edited by Mark B; 04-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

Default checked all the obvious stuff

yes I checked my filter screen and other obvious stuff. Just thinking about decreasing the area the shurflo has to evacuate. I also think based on my reading that 3/16th line is not the solution where it is pretty flat, but again any thoughts are welcome.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

Are you running a re-circulation line? That made a big difference in my shurflo
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

My neighbor may chime in if he sees this, but he ran 3/16 line at roughly the same grade you have. His lines were a lot shorter but he recirculated and had less lengths. I think - key word think - you might be asking a lot of that little pump. I do not think they are made to try and accommodate that much suction power. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

+ Reply to Thread