+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Buyers Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    But I still don’t think syrup from buckets tastes any different than syrup from tubing or bags.
    That may be true but, again, it isn't really the point the OP was getting at. As others have pointed out, the question is about a niche market based on production techniques. If the OP can command a premium for syrup made in a particular way, then more power to them. Everybody who sells their syrup is marketing an image of some kind (intentional or not). How you craft your image matters to those who buy your product.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I think its an important topic, especially as methods of making syrup are changing as fast as they ever had, how can the caramelization be the same for one producer using 19 percent sap versus a person using raw sap. I know I like steak, and lots of other stuff cooked over a wood fire, I don't know about anyone else, and I also know that everyday of the season that we make syrup, the flavor changes. my brother and I do 3000 taps with no RO and so far we have struggled to find/make a market to get more for our work. I think it will happen though and there is no doubt that not all syrup tastes the same, and ROs can have a huge effect, but as maple producers we should use positive language and marketing when referring to each other in order to build us all up together, its not better, perhaps, but it is definitely different. Then their are filter presses, tubing etc, and I think all of those things come their own drawback and advantages but I think there should be a lot more dialogue on this issue, rather than people saying no no its the same, well maybe it isn't.

While different production methods and their impacts to syrup flavor are an interesting topic, that is not what this thread is about. It is about a very specific subject, which is about selling bulk syrup. Perhaps this would have been better located in the classifieds, but I suspect the op is just putting out feelers. If you don't have interest in purchasing their syrup, why would you respond to the thread? It seems that this has become more of the norm here and maybe it's less moderation than in the past, or maybe it's something else. But perhaps members new and old should review the forum rules and remind themselves that some of the responses here go against the spirit of this forum. This is a community of maple enthusiasts and while it may be easy to type off a flippant response due to the nature of this medium (internet), keep in mind that we are all in this together. Ask yourself, would I respond to this person in this way if I were next to him/her having a conversation?

If someone wants to start, or better yet revive a thread (as there are lots), about production techniques and syrup flavor then please do. But this is not the thread for that...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Five or six years ago, I had a couple of college students from UVM come out to my sugar house to check out my operation and sample my syrup. The student were in a marketing class and had to develop a sales and marketing plan for a product. They chose to develop a plan for selling maple syrup based on the different taste of syrup from different sugar bushes. They had a pretty good marketing plan for the internet and offered syrup from 6 or 7 different sugar bushes based on the distinct taste from each operation. I don't know how they did overall, but the sales promotion only lasted six months or so and they only made one sale of my syrup to one of the students mother from Colorado. However, I did get one repeat customer who now makes a pretty good purchase each year. I guess that the two students found out that some gimmicks for selling maple syrup will only be successful on a limited basis. I don't think that you will find bulk buyers to by syrup based on some specialty like bucket syrup.

I collect my sap using a vacuum tubing system, use a RO to concentrate my sap to 15%, and boil my syrup using an oil evaporator. Seems like I am doing everything not the old nostalgic way, yet I have many long time customers that come back year after year to buy my syrup.

Joe
    Last edited by JoeJ; 04-26-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Will somebody please start a different thread or revive an old one if they want to discuss production methods and syrup flavor?!?!?!
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Spot on General, I've noticed this trend as well
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

I would assume that the OP thinks that his collection method (buckets) and production method (wood fired) imparts some special taste or nostalgia to his syrup that makes him think his syrup is different and that a bulk buyer might desire what he has produced. Otherwise, what else does the OP think makes his syrup special if it is not the collection method and production method????
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I would assume that the OP thinks that his collection method (buckets) and production method (wood fired) imparts some special taste or nostalgia to his syrup that makes him think his syrup is different and that a bulk buyer might desire what he has produced. Otherwise, what else does the OP think makes his syrup special if it is not the collection method and production method????
    Agreed. The original poster was looking for bulk buyers for his specific production methods (or at least that’s how I took it) Not sure why some think that comments about different production methods on the thread are not relevant, need to be moved to another thread or require moderator intervention?

Also agree with the comment about keeping this friendly and informative.
    Last edited by Clinkis; 04-26-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

The Reason, at least I feel anyway that threads need to stay on topic is that when they go off the rails it discourages people from participating on this website, we have lost alot of great contributors on this forum because of negative comments and people who tend to ramble off topic.

I am certain that I have made plenty of bad and or off topic posts on here myself and every time I do I regret it. One problem with words and not speaking to people is you don't get the Tone of the conversation so I think sometimes things here get out of hand w/o good reason.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 04-26-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

With all of this discussion in this thread, I notice that the original poster never made any further post. I think they could better get a realistic answer if they clarified what the question is, rather than having so many guesses.
    IMHO I think at 160 gal no bulk buyer would be interested in keeping this syrup segregated from every one elses. Thus I say they would buy it, but note likely keep it separate to market it as different.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast