+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bulk Buyers Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    Agreed. The original poster was looking for bulk buyers for his specific production methods (or at least that’s how I took it) Not sure why some think that comments about different production methods on the thread are not relevant, need to be moved to another thread or require moderator intervention?

Also agree with the comment about keeping this friendly and informative.
    Please feel free to point me to the "friendly and informative" posts in this thread...lol.

Whether or not comments regarding production methods are relevant is not the point. This forum reads like a 13 year old with ADHD. A post starts with a specific questions and by the third response, we're on a different topic...In this case of this thread the op's question is no longer even relevant. If you were the op, would you return to answer any questions or clarify your perspective?

The point of a discussion forum is to share ideas. If someone wants to discuss various production methods and their impacts on syrup flavor, why would they look in a thread called "Bulk Buyers Vermont"?

My point is if people want to discuss production methods and syrup flavor, then they are more likely to respond to a thread that at the least has a relevant title. And as Nate said, many people no longer participate here because of all the off-topic rants and random comments. This is a lightly moderated forum so we could all do ourselves a favor by self-moderating more effectively.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    With all of this discussion in this thread, I notice that the original poster never made any further post. I think they could better get a realistic answer if they clarified what the question is, rather than having so many guesses.
    The original post seems pretty clear to me. They are wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing any bulk vt syrup from a bucket and wood fired operation. Simple as that. No need to assume or guess what their intent was.

As a moderator of this forum do you think this thread demonstrates respectful interactions among members? Do you really expect the op to return and clarify their question?
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 04-26-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    The original post seems pretty clear to me. They are wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing any bulk vt syrup from a bucket and wood fired operation. Simple as that. No need to assume or guess what their intent was.

As a moderator of this forum do you think this thread demonstrates respectful interactions among members? Do you really expect the op to return and clarify their question?
    Then if this is what you feel why was this not immediately moved to the classified ad section? That is where all for sale/buy ads go; this is a thread for discussion.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    While different production methods and their impacts to syrup flavor are an interesting topic, that is not what this thread is about. It is about a very specific subject, which is about selling bulk syrup. Perhaps this would have been better located in the classifieds, but I suspect the op is just putting out feelers. If you don't have interest in purchasing their syrup, why would you respond to the thread? It seems that this has become more of the norm here and maybe it's less moderation than in the past, or maybe it's something else. But perhaps members new and old should review the forum rules and remind themselves that some of the responses here go against the spirit of this forum. This is a community of maple enthusiasts and while it may be easy to type off a flippant response due to the nature of this medium (internet), keep in mind that we are all in this together. Ask yourself, would I respond to this person in this way if I were next to him/her having a conversation?

If someone wants to start, or better yet revive a thread (as there are lots), about production techniques and syrup flavor then please do. But this is not the thread for that...
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pattee Family Herefords II
    2500+/- buckets
    Wood Intense-O-Fire
    Kubota Tractors
    Beef Cows
    2006 & 2010 "Best in the Nation" NAMSC & IMSI
    2010 "Best in Show"
    2016 "Best in Nation" NAMSC & IMSI

I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

Pattee Family Herefords II
    2500+/- buckets
    Wood Intense-O-Fire
    Kubota Tractors
    Beef Cows
    2006 & 2010 "Best in the Nation" NAMSC & IMSI
    2010 "Best in Show"
    2016 "Best in Nation" NAMSC & IMSI

[QUOTE=PFHII;372039]I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

Sent from my iPhone using

Please do not feel bad about asking a legitimate question. It was certainly a valid question and a good way to reach out to other Vermont producers to see if they know someone who is buying Syrup produced the way you make it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people lately who respond to threads without reading the questions and keeping the answers strictly to questions asked. Since Maple Trader was sold, it has turned into a more “Free For All” situation because there seems to be no oversight by the new owners like the old owners used to. Good luck finding a buyer who appreciates your quality product with a unique production methods. There are people out there who find value in that.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by PFHII View Post
    I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

No need to apoligize. Congratulations on your awards. Obviously they speak for themselves! Niche markets are always there for good products! I wish you the best in finding the spot for your bulk syrup.
    The Maple trader, Well its a pretty good place in general to hang out. Opinions, well everybody has them and sometimes they get written quickly. I would hope you are able to continue to post and contribute to the maple folks on here that need mentoring.
    BTW Thats a lot of buckets! I was up to 400 at one time and that was enough for me.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I see absolutely no reason to delete the thread or post.
    I sounds like you have educated many of us. It would have gotten far fewer remarks in the wrong direction if you had chimed in sooner about your honors earned in the past and the fact that you have previously been selling your syrup to a unique buyer who looked for bucket collected and wood fired syrup.
    I for one certainly was not aware any bulk buyers looked for such syrup, I never intended to talk down to you PFHII.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I started a thread relating to this debate.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234