Stopped by the local building department today to submit an application for a new sugar house. Sugaring is just a hobby with no plans to turn this into a commercial venture. Soon as I mentioned building a sugar house, the inspector mentioned some rules and regulations and directed me to the following:

19 CRR-NY XXXIII A 1228 Notes
NY-CRR
OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
TITLE 19. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
CHAPTER XXXIII. STATE FIRE PREVENTION AND BUILDING CODE COUNCIL
SUBCHAPTER A. UNIFORM FIRE PREVENTION AND BUILDING CODE
PART 1228. SUGARHOUSE ALTERNATIVE ACTIVITY PROVISIONS

Current through December 31, 2018

The first item that caught my attention was 'Alternative Activity Provisions'. The second item was 'Current through December 31, 2018'.
According to section 1228.4 Definitions.......(e) Alternative activity. An activity, not normally conducted in a sugarhouse, which supports the maple product industry. Examples of such activities include product sampling, pancake breakfasts, educational tours and activities, and the marketing and sale of merchandise.

Referencing the definition above, my opinion is that these regs do not apply in my situation but would like to hear from other NYS producers. Does anyone know if these regs are still in effect and for NYS (hobby) producers, did the building inspector hold you to these regs ??

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Rusty