+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MAPLE SUGAR - GOT TACKY INSIDE SHAKER. help...

Default MAPLE SUGAR - GOT TACKY INSIDE SHAKER. help...

I sell a fair amount of granulated Maple sugar in shaker containers. I recently made some from some early season syrup. It seems like it is a really nice batch, was very easy to sift and has a proper consistency. But, when it sat in the sun on a display table some of the moisture left in the sugar caused some of the finer pieces to get sticky on the sides of the container (near the top @ the airspace). I have never had this happen before. The rest of the sugar from this batch I have in an airtight container for future packaging. I made it on a dry day humidity was @33%, it sifted with no effort and I left it sit on a stainless tray to cool off good while it was spread out. How can I remedy this so this doesn't happen when I package the rest. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

JH,
    Keep it cool. What temp did you cook it too?
    Sun/heat is not a friend of maple products.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I did a boiling point check and then took the syrup to @ 48 - 50* above that (did several gallons in separate batches.) I have made drier sugar and have made it more moist before but I never had it stick to the sides of the container at the top of the shaker. Maybe it is more moist than I thought it was. I understand what you mean about the sun but sometimes I am set up with no canopy and have not had this problem before. Apparently it has more moisture than I am used to making? Is there a way to remedy this batch without turning it back to syrup and trying to turn in into sugar again? What I have stored seems fine and the shakers that were not exposed are fine and the sugar is not clumping together. I'll try to keep the sun off of it in the future as this would likely be the simplest remedy. But if you have any ideas about removing some of the moisture etc. from the already made sugar I would be glad for your suggestions, thanks.

Your answer is in your thread. It sat in the sun. A shaker is just like a magnifying glass. Have had it happen with candy and sugar both. Just keep out of sun and you will be fine.

Okay thanks for the advice!

We have the same problem with ziplock one pound packages. Have to shade it somehow!
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

We started running it through the screen after it gets done in the mixer, then I spread it out on 2 big cookie sheets and leave it overnight with the dehumidifier on its lowest setting, then I run it through the large screen again and then the small screen FB_IMG_1556744345195.jpgFB_IMG_1556744345195.jpg25153.jpg
    A&A 2x8 raised flue with hoods and preheater, converted to oil with carlin 201 for 2021
    8x12 kitchen
    8x12 canning room
    H20 7.5 1200 Econox for 2018 added 2nd membrane for 2020
    H2O 10" filter press half bank
    H2O 2430 gallon storage tank
    700+ 5/16 on vacuum, 1000+ on 3/16

thanks for the replies - this has been a big help!

+ Reply to Thread