+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of year cleaning cast iron and aluminum taps

Default End of year cleaning cast iron and aluminum taps

I'm sure this has been gone over on here but I cant find it. I'm looking for recommendations on cleaning taps at the end of the year. I have some of my Grandfathers OLD cast iron taps and some of the newer cast aluminum taps (7/16"). In previous years I had been boiling them in a big pot with a small amount of bleach added, and then rinsed very well obviously and air dried and put in closed bucket till spring. I have heard of people using vinegar and etc. Just looking for what else has worked for others. Not looking for comments on changing to 5/16" taps etc.

West branch Kickapoo River Valley, Southwestern Wisconsin

This is my 9th season, we have aluminum and stainless taps. What I do is first clean each spout with a spout brush, then boil them for 30 minutes, drain and put them in a oven pan and bake them at 450 degrees for an hour. then into quart freezer bags. Hope that helps. and God Bless.
    12x16 Sugar House 2x6 Maple Pro wood fired evaporator Arctic Cat 4x4 1980 Snowmobile 225 taps on buckets 17 Taps on 3/16th tubing on steep hillside

I soak taps in a PBW solution for 30 minutes at around 120 to 140 deg F and then rinse in starsan for 60 seconds followed by a good clean water rinse. Don’t leave aluminum in starsan for an extended period. PBW is ok for “industrial aluminum”.
    2x6 Phaneuf, Lapierre 125 Turbo

When I tapped buckets I washed my taps in hot water and used a spout brush to clean the inside. I didn't use any soap or other chemicals. I then boiled them and let them air dry. When it was time to tap I boiled them again just before I headed out the door. I used to get up to 6 weeks before the tap holes dried up.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Over the last few years I gradually switched over to Sapmeister stainless 5/16 spouts with bucket hooks. They are easy to brush out and smooth and straight inside. They also look sturdy enough to last the rest of my life.

+ Reply to Thread