+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arch shopping

Default New arch shopping

Well I made it through the season but it is time for a new arch. I am boiling on a 2x6 leader traditional arch. I have gone from thinking of just going and replacing with a leader classic arch, to jumping to oil/propane to back to an inferno. I was a little shocked at the price of going to propane but would like the convenience. Anyone running an inferno? Thoughts? I just don’t know what to do.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

I had Bill Mason (WF Mason) build me an AUF/AOF arch for my 2x6 pans. It's a night and day difference compared to my old standard arch.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mille705 View Post
    Well I made it through the season but it is time for a new arch. I am boiling on a 2x6 leader traditional arch. I have gone from thinking of just going and replacing with a leader classic arch, to jumping to oil/propane to back to an inferno. I was a little shocked at the price of going to propane but would like the convenience. Anyone running an inferno? Thoughts? I just don’t know what to do.
    We changed from a traditional patriot pan set up with the cast iron door to a air tight door a couple of years ago. Night and day performance and it didn't require replacing the whole arch. Instead of all that energy turning the door red it's going into the pans. Add in the blower and it boils real well.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I'd check the price of a Thor arch. Sippl sugarbush in Birnamwood WI is a dealer. They make traditional arches as well as an inferno style.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

sunrise metal shop in Indiana would be another relatively close option. They make nice equipment.

I second both the Thor and Sunrise arches. Get prices on both and compare. Just be sure you get a prices on the high efficiency versions, both make them. Then choose comparing features and prices delivered. The best prices might be in the next month, after the middle or end of May, the spring discounts disappear.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

i'm strongly considering buying an arch from Thor. the price they gave me was very attractive. does anyone know if there is a sales tax applied to maple products in Quebec?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

One thing to consider is if something on the arch breaks or it doesn't perform adequately is who is going to come make it right and how long might that take?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Default CDL Venturi

Anyone trying out the CDl Venturi evaporator or familiar with any system that has a blower feeding into the stack to create the draft? Wondering about the pros and cons of this arch design.

I am very impressed with the Venturi setup although I dont have one yet I will be most likely buying one when I do buy ,,next year I hope. The design is pretty unique in that does pull the draft and not push it into the arch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast