+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Year was a Success - What to upgrade for 2020

Default First Year was a Success - What to upgrade for 2020

Hello All,

First year lurker here, now enjoying the 2.5 gallons I made this season.
    I installed 10 taps late (3/10/19) in 7 trees, collected in 5 gallon buckets and boiled on a block arch with 3 chaffing dishes.
    All said and done, I have 2.5 gallons of delicious (though slightly caremel flavored - scorched pans) syrup.
    The kids helped tap, and boil and of course are eating up lots of pancakes.
    It was a wonderful experience that I want to continue while increasing yield, efficiency, and production.

My head is buzzing with all the possibilities (shureflow, 3/16th line, RO, oil tank evap, flat pan, etc).

I will identify all maples on the property and hope to get the tap count up to about 25-30.

What should I focus on to better the opperation?

I'm a tinkerer, and like to build. Boiling was painfully slow, so I'm thinking that an oil tank evap would be a fun project this summer. I can weld and cut steel.

I'd also like to consolidate sap into one big tank, so tubing would be a benefit.

RO weems easy enough to build and implement.

If it were you, what would you prioritize and what makes most sense for me?

Thanks!

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Start cutting firewood.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I like you started on a Turkey Fryer with a few tapes . Then I decided to go all out. I found a used 3x4 evaporator, then built a ro. [plans on line] under RO Systems. Then upgraded to 3 3/16 lines with 75 taps on small Soft Maples. Shurflo's for vacuum and 55 gal. food grade barrels. 23 taps on Sugar Maples with buckets. 25 bags on small soft maples. Yes this was a bit of a cash outlay but, done over a 2 yr. period.
    The first thing would a bigger arch and a RO System. I built a 6 membrane RO unit, but you could start with less membranes and add to it later. You'll be amazed the time you will save with an RO.
    I cooked 25 gal. this season.
    Last edited by wlatrout; 04-19-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Small RO to decrease boiling time.
    Air under fire to increase boil rate if you haven't already. 3 chaffing dishes is already a good amount of surface area.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

An oil tank evaporator arch would be a big improvement. Just make it to hold a 2' wide pan. The length can be any multiple of 6" starting at 24" long up to whatever length you are making. Then get a used flat pan, they become available this time of year as producers decide to expand. To design it to fit a 24" wide pan, weld the top so the opening is at a maximum of 23" wide or as little as 22.5" wide. That will give you between 1/2" and 3/4" overlap. The greater the overlap the less the heat transfer. If you look at some other options like a combo pan, with flat pan in the front part and some drop flues at the back, you could advance at some point to one and see a big improvement in you gph evaporation. The greater the surface area in direct contact with the fire the greater the evaporation. If you insulate the arch you get more heat to the pans too.
    The main part is to be sure to keep it fun for everyone in your family.
    With a regular evaporator pan, as long as it is setting on the arch with no flames dancing up the sides and you keep at least 3/4" of sap in the pan, you will not get that "scorched flavor", that is so common with boiling in the SS restaurant pans.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    Start cutting firewood.
    Bahahahaha!

With all the upgrades I am thinking of for next year this is literally the first I settled for and ultimately started making this UPGRADE as of last week. Too funny VTNEWGUY!

OP, the barrel evaporators are fantastic. I built one and loved it. Made it to accommodate a 2x4. If you can weld and cut just consider it time and fun. Brick and insulation go a long way and a squirrel cage blower will help even more. Plenty of builds on here and happy to send you info if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Thanks for the replies.

Fortunately I work up wood each year for heat, and I'm a couple years ahead so that not an issue, though cutting and splitting is a good point!!

Seems I'll focus on a better pan, RO and building the arch. Even if I cant get to the arch I can improve upon the block arch and with the flat pan and RO I should be way ahead of this past year.

I'll stick with buckets and probably buy a poly tank to store before RO and boils.

I'm a busy guy with a couple jobs, a wife and little kids, so time can get tight.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to improving the system next year!
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    Start cutting firewood.
    Build an RO and save the firewood and time! By far the best investment you will ever make.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I have been boiling on a block arch with 3 SS restaurant pans for 3 years. I would upgrade to a flat pan to get rid of the scorching. I added a bathroom fan blowing in on my block arch this year and I went from 5 to 6 gph to 8 to 9 gph, that really helped getting thru the sap this year.

D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast