In the 37 years we have made syrup I have used 3 maybe 4 bits. In 2018 I had an Irwin 7/16 break. I was shocked. I figure I had close to 800 taps with that bit. I could not find one for sale close and fast but was able to borrow from a neighbor. I had the local hardware order me 2 new Irwin bits. Started tapping this year and it was obvious there was something different. My old bit took pressure but it pretty much pulled itself into the tree. When I had the depth I wanted I would back off 1 turn (counterclockwise) and then pull the bit out while continuing to turn it clockwise and this cleaned the hole. The new bits I had to push in hard. When I reached depth, the only way to get them out of the tree was to unscrew them (counterclockwise) while pulling hard. First bit lasted 33 taps. Second bit went 34. I had bought some old tools over the summer and remembered there was a old set of Irwins in them. I dug out an old bit and it worked just like I remembered, for my last 101 taps. I got on the Irwin site and wrote a scathing review - heard nothing and they never published it. I spent some time on the internet and came up with the name of an executive at Irwin. Never got through but after 4 phone calls - with a really nice receptionist - they sent me two replacements - different type of bit - and I sent them the faulty bits. The flutes on the bad bits were too large and interfered with the sides of the hole. I figure you could buy a set of bits and probably never know because most users don't drill 200 holes in a row. I am curious - has anyone else had a similar experience?