+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I still pre-filter off the evaporator now that I have a filter press?

Default Should I still pre-filter off the evaporator now that I have a filter press?

I have always ran my draw offs off the evaporator through a couple pre-filters going into my draw off pail. I would then finish to proper density on propane then run through prefilters and orlon final filter before bottling. This year I bought a used D & G 7" full bank filter press and still continued to run through pre-filters off the evaporator. If I stop doing this now that I have a filter press with more capacity then I probably need as my normal filtering volumes are 8-10 gallons at a time. The filter press does a great job and my finished syrup is crystal clear. I would like to do away with the pre-filtering step as it would speed things up and would be less stuff (pre-filters) to clean on a daily basis. Thoughts?
    Clay Stroup
    Stroup's Sugar Bush
    Almont, MI

2016: 20 taps, 2 gallons
    2017: 80 taps, 12 gallons
    2018: 92 taps, 16 gallons
    2019: 110 taps, 34 gallons
    2020: 140 taps, 31-1/2 gallons
    2021: 155 taps, 32 gallons
    2022: 190 taps, 29-1/2 gallons
    2023: 200 taps, 42 gallons
    Leader WSE 2x6 drop flue
    Mason Steam Pan finishing set up
    D & G 7" Filter Press
    Next Gen 180 HPRO RO
    John Deere Gator 4 x 2
    12 x 18 Sugar Shack built in 2019

I would skip the prefilters. When I had a 7” press I cut some pieces of pipe that fit over the rods. This way I could use 1/2 the plates when doing small batches.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I did buy (2) 12" lengths of pipe and (2) 6" lengths of pipe this year and now I can run 7, 5, 4 or 3 plates depending on the volume I am filtering. Simple way to vary capacity.
    Clay Stroup
    Stroup's Sugar Bush
    Almont, MI

2016: 20 taps, 2 gallons
    2017: 80 taps, 12 gallons
    2018: 92 taps, 16 gallons
    2019: 110 taps, 34 gallons
    2020: 140 taps, 31-1/2 gallons
    2021: 155 taps, 32 gallons
    2022: 190 taps, 29-1/2 gallons
    2023: 200 taps, 42 gallons
    Leader WSE 2x6 drop flue
    Mason Steam Pan finishing set up
    D & G 7" Filter Press
    Next Gen 180 HPRO RO
    John Deere Gator 4 x 2
    12 x 18 Sugar Shack built in 2019

I agree that your on the right track. The prefiltering is just another job that is not going to gain you much on those volumes. I was glad to be able to finally flip a switch and filter a bunch of syrup in minutes compared to the slow gravity filtering process.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

No need to worry about pre-filtering off the evaporator. Won’t gain you much. Welcome to the wonderful world of filter presses, you won’t ever go back.

Back when I got my filter press years ago I asked my dealer, mentor the same question, I was told that leaving the niter in the syrup until you filter using the filter press will actually work a little better than if you pre-filter off the evaporator. I stopped pre-filtering and never looked back.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do not miss cleaning filters! My filter press is the best thing I ever purchased, besides a real evaporator!
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Quote Originally Posted by sap retreiver View Post
    I do not miss cleaning filters! My filter press is the best thing I ever purchased, besides a real evaporator!
    For the OP, don't mess around with pre filtering your syrup.

For the hijack, my filter press and real evaporator were great purchases but my RO was the best purchase.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread