+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh What to do...

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

Default Oh What to do...

101_3329.jpg 101_3343.jpg

As the sunsets on Maple season 2019, I boiled 01 gallon of maple and 8 ounces of Birch. I tapped 6 maples and 5 birch trees. It was fun. I have sugared as an assistant on and off since i was 14... Now I'm 44 with kiddos... retiring is a possibility in 10 years so I gotta find a good hobby that can make some money... Today i found myself counting my tap potential in my woods. 152 maple taps in the back woods, 30 maple taps close to the house and 30 birch taps in the back woods... So I guess since Leader Evaporator is 25 minutes away I think I may find myself there today to look at the half pint... I do have a full bay post and beam garage just begging me to put a sugarin' rig inside....

If you're looking at 180 taps, skip the half pint and look for a used 2x6. Get yourself set up right from the get go.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Great pictures! I did something similar at about the same age. Get right sized form the start then you wont have to expand as soon.
    Good luck.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    If you're looking at 180 taps, skip the half pint and look for a used 2x6. Get yourself set up right from the get go.
    Agreed.

Especially if you don’t have an RO. Otherwise every minute of retirement time will be spent feeding the arch LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

After 20+ years of screwing around dad and I bought a new 2×6. I should have done that in the beginning.we ran 306 taps this year with no RO. With ease I see myself shooting for the RO and 500 real soon. Just my advise spend your money right once not wrong twice. Get the sugar bush set up as efficiently as you can now and provision for expansion.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

After finishing off the contents of the 4x14 evaporator on our finisher as a teen one year, I realized I never wanted to boil without a flue pan ever again. I'm boiling about 70 taps on a 2x6 without an ro And I find its a good fit with my full time job. As mentioned above, keep your eyes open for a good condition 2x6 or similar size.

Thank you all for the responses. I will be seeing the possibilities this weekend at the various Open houses during the Maple Fest in St. Albans Vermont.

A long story on my first season. I bought a used half pint in real nice condition. I got is set up, firebriched it and was ready. I already had plenty of dry wood.
    Then I started tapping trees. I tapped 27 at first and waited a few days for the first sap flow. That went well and I added more taps and repeated that until I had 70 taps. Then the trees really turned on and I had to boil for 20 hrs straight and still fell behind. I ended up having to dump some spoiled sap because I had more good sap and could not boil it all. That was just 70 taps. I see no way for a half pint to do 150+ taps unless you have an RO, even then it would be a long boil. My average boil was 6 GPH evaporation.
    I sold that evaporator and bought a used 2x6 with drop flues for seasons 2-4. With that I got 24-27 GPH.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Mant years ago we bpught a brand new Half Punt
    We both worked,so this was just dabbling in making some syrup. Never imaginwd we had so many maples on our place. 15 acres just in the back woods. That half pint was very nice. For some backyard trees. I think I sold it on ebay within a year or 2. Upgraded to a 2x4 used. Loved it. Added more taps. Got rid of buckets. Went to pipeline and vaccum. By the time we sold tge farm a couple of years ago we had 500 taps. After the 2x4 Grimm Lightening(best ever) we got a gorgeous 2x8 cdl. Illness ended that. Downsized to a Mason 2x4 and Ron loved that. Sold the extra sap. Sugaring is an addiction. Have fun

Thanx for your insight. I have been looking at the mason 2x4 xl. It could be the best overall rig for my needs and I could buy the bucket ro....
    Last edited by Shirefisher; 04-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast