+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapling evaporater vs half pint vs mason cw hobby evaporater.

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

Default Sapling evaporater vs half pint vs mason cw hobby evaporater.

I have plenty of garage space to put in a "real rig" but I'm not sure with only 25 taps close to the house if I really need anything more than the barrel rig by Vermont evaporater... I figure it saves me having to plumb it in on a permanent chimney and I can just set it up in front of my garage and only use it in fair weather and easily store it out of the way. Or the "real" hobby arches from leader and mason might last longer and would work great but I figure I'd want to make either one I'd choose as permanent in my garage. I kind of like the simplicity of the barrel rig. Anyway it will be some months before boiling again. It does feel funny as I am surrounded by friends and neighbors tapping and boiling from 1800 to 17,000 taps. My buddy processed 7000 gallons today in 2 hours just today making some dark syrup but a bunch none the less. And with that in mind I'm going the opposite direction with my interest In a decidedly low fi/analog system. But if I did have a system now I checked and the birch are still running....
    Last edited by Shirefisher; 04-17-2019 at 07:38 PM.

My Half-Pint is attached to a hand truck (the type you use at big box home improvement stores). I store it in my garage and roll it out when I use it. I love this arrangement — it suits my hobby level sugaring very well!

KINDLE_CAMERA_1554300583000.jpg sweet would love to see a pic of your set up. So you wheel out the half pint in and outside. That's sounds like a good deal hmmmm. I'm pondering sugarin rigs as I munch on salad drizzled with fresh maple/birch syrup vinaigrette dressing...

25 taps and a half-pint is where I am. I did 60 taps last year and cut back - didn't like the 10-12 hour days of boiling. Did a barrel evaporator and didn'y like it all.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Quote Originally Posted by phil-t View Post
    25 taps and a half-pint is where I am. I did 60 taps last year and cut back - didn't like the 10-12 hour days of boiling. Did a barrel evaporator and didn'y like it all.
    Phil, looking at your signature, the 3/16 tubing was a huge success for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

This coming weekend is the St. Albans Maple Fest and to my luck 4 major Maple businesses have open houses with demos for gear. So I'm going to geek out at Leader Evaporator, CDL, Dominion and Grim and Lapiere. I can't wait. I guess this is the benefit of living in the midst of "Big Maple"... 25 taps close to the house and 150 taps on my property possible. I'm curious to see the possibilities...

It does seem from what i can see there are some folks that transition quite quickly from barrel to upgrade. But I'm sure for some folks that is all they will ever need.

Well after touring a bunch of Maple companies and their various hobby rigs during the St. Albans Maple Fest... I think my heart is in the Half Pint. I like the idea it's got potential to grow with the extension. I'm guessing I'd go with the supreme pan. I'm building a 12.5 x 8 sugarhouse to house a small unit and this one seems best to fit my needs.

The new half pint looks very cool, and looks like it will be more wood-efficient. Are people running half-pints able to pull syrup right off the evaporator, or are you finishing it inside in the kitchen?
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

I take finished syrup dirrectly off my half-pint. No problem, at all.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast