+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 cleaning technique

Default 3/16 cleaning technique

So. I hooked up my Honda WB20XT to my mainline in hopes to blow some clean water thru everything to clean it all out. Seemed better than using the pump sprayer one tap at a time. I was able to get 150gal. up a loging road to the end of the mainline.
    Turns out the saddles don't like that.
    So. I necked it down to one lateral at a time. Pump was able to get 75% of the way up the mountain. Last 5-10 taps never got clean water to em.
    I have no way to get to the top of the ridge to flow down. I think this could work well if I can get a pump to get that last 50' of elevation.
    I use this pump for IBC totes in the bottom of a sinkhole to pump out sap 107' of drop with a 1" line. It's less elevation for when I'm trying to clean out this other bush I just described. Does 3/16 just restrict that much?
    Any thoughts on a better pump? Thought about robbing my air diaphram pump off my filter press. Think.that would work?
    I don't know the exact elevation change but guessing 100'ish.
    Thought it would be great to rig up a tote and just follow the mainline and hooking up laterals while another guy pulled and capped taps to flush. With five boys I have eager bodies to run up n down the mountain.

Just checked topos. Less than a 100' of elevation to end taps. Not by much though.

Good news though when trying to push water that way is it gets preheated and is semi warm from spinning in the pump for so long.

When I used to pump from the bottom, I made a manifold, water in one end and compressed air in another (oil free compressor). Doing that I could get the water out of taps 120' higher (my highest above the starting point and 1200+ feet up the lines.) The air helps it climb much higher.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    When I used to pump from the bottom, I made a manifold, water in one end and compressed air in another (oil free compressor). Doing that I could get the water out of taps 120' higher (my highest above the starting point and 1200+ feet up the lines.) The air helps it climb much higher.
    Explain this a little more as I am hoping to do something like this next year to clean the lines. What pump do you use for the water side? Do you turn on both water and air at the same time?
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

I used a shurflo pump to do the same, pump permeate up my mainline into 3/16. It was 40ft max elevation, 3-400ft runs, but I only used 15 psi. I'm no expert, but maybe you need a pump that pushes less volume. I worked my way up each line pulling spouts and it worked great...evacuates air and sap as you go, shuts off when pressure builds.
    200 on 3/16" vacuum plus some buckets
    D&G 2x6 7" drop flue wood fired
    Lapierre 200gph RO
    "We like it sticky"

Quote Originally Posted by bj's sugaring View Post
    I used a shurflo pump to do the same, pump permeate up my mainline into 3/16. It was 40ft max elevation, 3-400ft runs, but I only used 15 psi. I'm no expert, but maybe you need a pump that pushes less volume. I worked my way up each line pulling spouts and it worked great...evacuates air and sap as you go, shuts off when pressure builds.
    Thanks for the response. I do have a shurflo pump on the end of my mainline that I could reverse to push water up through the main and 3/16 but I didn't think the pump would have enough power to get it all the way to the top. My main is 400 ft long which should be fine but my 11x 3/16 laterals are around 800' each and have an average rise of 100'. That is a lot to ask of a little shurflo pump.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    Thanks for the response. I do have a shurflo pump on the end of my mainline that I could reverse to push water up through the main and 3/16 but I didn't think the pump would have enough power to get it all the way to the top. My main is 400 ft long which should be fine but my 11x 3/16 laterals are around 800' each and have an average rise of 100'. That is a lot to ask of a little shurflo pump.
    That is too much to ask from a Shurflo! I flushed my lines today pumping up with a 4008 Shurflo into two 600 ft long 3/16 lines that rise about 60 ft in elevation. I managed to get a small trickle out at the top tap after plugging all the lower taps into their cups. I had a pressure gage on it at the pump which showed about 45 psig. The problem is not only the elevation change (about 0.43 psi/ft), but the pressure drop in flowing through a long run of 3/16 tubing really kills the flow rate.

+ Reply to Thread