+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cdl 7” short bank

Default Cdl 7” short bank

Had this filter press for awhile now... always been a bit slow for filtering... but this year with RO..ing our sap it seems to filter very slowly for some reason...?? Anyone have this issue after they started to use an RO?
    Most I can get out is between 7-9 gallons... and near the end I’m up at 60-70 psi... what would be the difference if I upgraded to a full bank 7” or a short bank 10”.
    2010 - 28 taps, homemade brick arch
    2011 - 421 taps, 2' x 6' homemade evaporator
    2012 - 276 taps
    2013 - 385 taps, new 2' x 6'
    2014 - 600 taps, new 7" short bank filter press

RO'ing can lead to more niter when boiling due to the higher brix concentration of the sap. That's way high on the PSI, I'm surprised you didn't blow a paper. How much DE are you mixing in? I would first try adding more DE, 1 cup at a time until it starts going through better. If that doesn't work, start backing off from what you are using but my bet is that you need more DE. We run 4-6 cups of DE in our 7" short bank but usually are only filtering 10-15 gallons at a time anyway so we rarely have any issues.

My guess would be you would double your capacity, so 14 to 20 gallons on a long bank. Since I don't have a plate press and don't R.O. either, its just a guess. I can get 15 plus gallons on the SIRO, 12 inch, which is supposed to be equivalent to a 7 inch long bank.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default 7” short bank

Thanks so much for the info...I am going to try 3-5 cups DE tonight because it definitely doesn’t seem right to only get 7-8 gallons before I have to change papers...
    2010 - 28 taps, homemade brick arch
    2011 - 421 taps, 2' x 6' homemade evaporator
    2012 - 276 taps
    2013 - 385 taps, new 2' x 6'
    2014 - 600 taps, new 7" short bank filter press

The biggest thing I learned with a press is to keep the de agitated. I have a large whisk and stir the whole time the press is running to keep it the de in suspension. I consistently get 30 plus gallons through a full bank 7, even this year with heavy niter. The pressure stays under 20 psi.
    Last edited by Shaun; 04-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

It could be just the season and the trees producing more nitre this year. I've been using an RO since 2005 and a filter press shortly afterward. Until this season I've never had a problem filtering 15 to 20 gallons with my 7" short bank Wes Fab. This season the nitre was so bad that there were times when I couldn't get 5 gallons through it. The sap is going to produce the same amount of nitre whether it's concentrated with an RO or boiled raw. If anything the RO sap should filter easier because more of the nitre is released in the flue pan.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread