+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ticks

I pulled my taps yesterday morning and to my surprise no ticks. I'll be bringing up my woods tank and releaser next weekend and when I do that it's not uncommon to find some ticks. All it takes is one and I'm checking every little tickle to see if it's a tick. Not fun!
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by lew View Post
    I guess I'm just a tick magnet.
    Very well played
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I guess I forgot to finish my tick ramblings. Yes, permethrin is awesome. After the infamous weekend of 82 ticks on me I purchased some permethrin. Sprayed it pants and shirt. I did not have a single tick on me until the afternoon. It was crawling across the back of my hand. So I picked it off my hand and placed it on the cuff of my shirt where I knew the permethrin had been applied. It was quite a show. When ever I see a tick it is always compressed right to what ever it is crawling on with all of its legs spread way out. When placed on the permethrin treated clothes, it couldn't keep itself far enough away. It actually was stand on just 2 legs pushing its body as far away from the permethrin as possible. Then it would switch those first 2 legs for 2 others then for 2 others. Probably danced like that for a total of 1 to maybe 2 seconds. It acted like its feet were on fire. It would have been comical actually, except it was a tick.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Years ago there was an article in Wisconsin magazine about using permetherin to rid an area of tics by spraying cotton batting with it, stuffing the treated cotton into waterproof tubes the size of toilet paper tubes and tossing them all around the area. If I remember correctly the rodent population would use the cotton for bedding that would kill the larval stage of the tic and after a bunch of years doing that it would break the breeding cycle of the tics. We have the really tiny ones that carry lyme here always a worry about getting that Jay
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    Years ago there was an article in Wisconsin magazine about using permetherin to rid an area of tics by spraying cotton batting with it, stuffing the treated cotton into waterproof tubes the size of toilet paper tubes and tossing them all around the area. If I remember correctly the rodent population would use the cotton for bedding that would kill the larval stage of the tic and after a bunch of years doing that it would break the breeding cycle of the tics. We have the really tiny ones that carry lyme here always a worry about getting that Jay
    I have been doing this for the last couple years, we went from finding 100’s of ticks a year to only 1 dead one in the house. I also built a deer feeder that has paint rollers impregnated with permethrin. Deer and bear come eat corn and rub against the paint rollers for a tick treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading about the Permethrin treatment for clothes. Do you use it full strength or mix with water and once mixed how long can you keep it to still be effective or is it always good?
    homemade barrel evaporator 2 x 4 divided flat pan 40 taps 10 x 8 sap house hood and pre heater

Sawyer brand is what I use on my carhart pants and full strength. Last for 44 days or 6 Washings.

Sawyer is what I use as well. Works amazing.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12