+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Default Ticks

With temperatures in the 60s we decided to wrap it up a little early. I don't like the look of the sap when it's 67 degrees and the sugar content down to 1%, there's not much left when the yeasts start doing their thing. Yesterday we dumped sap, gathered in the buckets, and pulled the taps. It was a beautiful day to be in the woods with the leeks popping up, the birds chattering, and that blue, blue sky. We brought home 250 buckets and three ticks, which by bath time, were well attached. Ticks have gotten worse each year, and now they want to spoil the end of sugar season too. I swear, the end-times are here, and it's gonna suck.

Ticks here too. Got one with my needle nose pliers before it got me.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I agree. I went to collect buckets last week and didn't see any but the next day I had one dug in on my shoulder. I had a Doctor appointment that morning so I let the Doctor take it out. So now I am staying out of the woods and more than likely will not sugar next year at all, after all I'm 79 and a one man show and it's not fun any more, just work. I was only a hobby guy anyway but it was fun to do and get out in the woods but as they say time has caught up with me and if it were not for the tick problem I might think twice, but I don't think I will.
    homemade barrel evaporator 2 x 4 divided flat pan 40 taps 10 x 8 sap house hood and pre heater

We've had ticks here for at least 3 weeks. My brother-in-law had 3 on him, each on a different day, that had not attached yet, then last Thursday he had another, still walking up from his wrist, pliers did that one in too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I’ve had Lyme 3 times, not fun. Now I wear insectshield clothes when out in the woods.

Second on the insect shield clothing though this year I need to get a couple pairs of insect shield socks....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Second on the insect shield clothing though this year I need to get a couple pairs of insect shield socks....
    Son ended up with an imbedded tick from yesterday after pulling taps and buckets. Had to pull it out this morning. First one I have ever dealt with personally and unfortunately it freaked him out. We will certainly be more cautious from here on out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Interesting thread. I have never seen ticks at this time of year and was surprised to be pulling them off the dog already.
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

I've been sugaring for 30 years. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago we would pull the occasional tick off the dog never saw one on me or anyone else. 2 years ago we purchased 80 acres and started setting up the woods in October. One weekend (2 days) I pulled 82 ticks off of myself. Roughly 20 had attached. None for more than an hour or so. I went to the doctors and they gave me a dose of medicine just to be safe. Funny thing is that the guys that were working with me only got 3 or 4 ticks on each of them max. I guess I'm just a tick magnet. Last year in the same woods we worked weekends removing pine, hemlock and firewood and never got anymore than 2 or 3 ticks per day. This year I haven't had any on myself yet but I have pulled a few off of the cats and dogs starting in February.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Permethrin is your friend! Spray it well on a pair of your favorite field pants and wear them each time afield.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast