+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ticks

Hybrid View

I've been sugaring for 30 years. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago we would pull the occasional tick off the dog never saw one on me or anyone else. 2 years ago we purchased 80 acres and started setting up the woods in October. One weekend (2 days) I pulled 82 ticks off of myself. Roughly 20 had attached. None for more than an hour or so. I went to the doctors and they gave me a dose of medicine just to be safe. Funny thing is that the guys that were working with me only got 3 or 4 ticks on each of them max. I guess I'm just a tick magnet. Last year in the same woods we worked weekends removing pine, hemlock and firewood and never got anymore than 2 or 3 ticks per day. This year I haven't had any on myself yet but I have pulled a few off of the cats and dogs starting in February.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Quote Originally Posted by lew View Post
    I guess I'm just a tick magnet.
    Very well played
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I guess I forgot to finish my tick ramblings. Yes, permethrin is awesome. After the infamous weekend of 82 ticks on me I purchased some permethrin. Sprayed it pants and shirt. I did not have a single tick on me until the afternoon. It was crawling across the back of my hand. So I picked it off my hand and placed it on the cuff of my shirt where I knew the permethrin had been applied. It was quite a show. When ever I see a tick it is always compressed right to what ever it is crawling on with all of its legs spread way out. When placed on the permethrin treated clothes, it couldn't keep itself far enough away. It actually was stand on just 2 legs pushing its body as far away from the permethrin as possible. Then it would switch those first 2 legs for 2 others then for 2 others. Probably danced like that for a total of 1 to maybe 2 seconds. It acted like its feet were on fire. It would have been comical actually, except it was a tick.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

+ Reply to Thread