+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDL gallone bottles leaking

Default CDL gallone bottles leaking

90% of my gallone 1litre bottles are leaking. Been using the same bottles for 3 years and only had the odd one leak.
    Tried going to a different manufacturer to try different lids. Same thing happened.
    Tried different bottling techniques like not heating up bottles first. That didn’t work. Tried putting bottles on side for different amounts of time that didn’t work. Tried giving the caps a tighten once cooled down a bit. That didn’t work either. Driving me insane. Got 100 litres bottled and more to do and don’t want to sell leaking bottles.
    CDL has said nobody else is having problems. Find that hard to believe.
    Anybody else having issues.
    10CAC82F-54E7-413D-AAFB-40A17DFAEC45.jpg
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I had a leaking issue years ago. My dealer asked 2 questions, how full was I filling it and how tight was I turning the cap? I was filling them to within about 1/8-1/4" of the top and turning the cap as tight as I could by hand. I was told to only fill them to just below the bottom of the threads and to only tighten the caps moderately tight. I changed both and the leak issues stopped. I did both at the same time so I don't know if just one of those would have solved the problem. I was told also that if I re-tighten the caps after the initial tightening that was likely breaking the seal that had been made. Try those, it may help, however mine were not the gallone bottles.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The caps you are using do they have a round top? If so they will leak on the liter bottle but will work on the 500ml. Use only the flat top caps. I fill them to the top and the flat caps work fine.
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

The caps I have are the new flat ones. I tried some of the rounded ones a couple years ago. Did 6 bottles and knew they sucked. Had the flat ones last year too no problems.
    I just bottled 6 bottles as a test.
    -syrup at 180 F
    -filled bottle to just under start of threads
    -screwed cap on. Noticed I could tighten a lot more when filling to this height
    - layed bottle on side for 10 minutes then stood them up.

Will let them cool over night and see what happens.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

10 minutes will not hurt, but 30 seconds is just as good. I like 185 better than 180. Unless you know the thermometer is accurate, 185 gives it a good margin of error and still be safe.
    I hope this batch works fine.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

They better work. The bottles I opened to dump back in canner had none of the seals stuck to the top of the bottle. So this batch better seal. So frustrating. And especially for something so simple.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I use some D&G jugs and was told the seals do not stick to the top of the jug, but they never leaked. I wonder if your seals are not designed to stick. They are however designed to seal.

Maybe not. I’d be happy even if they didn’t stick and the bottles just sealed properly and didn’t leak. Will check on this 6 bottle test batch in the morning.
    I just remember last couple years. All my bottles had the seal left on the bottle when you took the cap off and when you pulled it off there was the vacuum hiss. Always a good sign.
    Not so with these bottles.
    I’ll post results in the morning when I check them.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Default CDL gallone bottles leaking

I use the 500ml galoon bottles. I have not had an issue with leaks maybe 1 or 2 but I have noticed if I take the lid off they were not sealed to the bottle. I always bottle around 185 and immediately turn them on their side for probably an hour.
    I did find it weird they were not sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what the seal surface on the CDL containers is (some or maybe all) but it has apparently been designed not to stick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast