+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Murphy compensating cup vs hydrotherm

Default Murphy compensating cup vs hydrotherm

I’m wondering if there is an advantage to a Murphy cup vs a hydrotherm. The cup works in conjunction with a hygrometer but the hydrotherm does both functions as a single unit. The hydrotherm is only slightly more expensive than the hydrogrometer while the Murphy cup is over $100. Why don’t more people use hydrotherms?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I used a hydrotherm for years. Then I tried the Murphy cup and will never go back. I found the hydrotherm took longer to get a good reading. With the Murphy cup it’s almost instant 15 seconds with the syrup in it to let thermometer level out. Then drop in hydrometer and you have your reading. Very easy and fool proof. I’ve found it to be a god send since getting an auto draw. Quick readings mean you can adjust the draw temp right away. No waiting.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Just take it gently as you "drop it in", if the hydrometer hits the bottom of the test cup the paper can slide and make a calibrated hydrometer be off.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I used the term “drop it in” but of course did not literally mean to drop the hydrometer in the Murphy cup.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I used a hydrotherm for years. Then I tried the Murphy cup and will never go back. I found the hydrotherm took longer to get a good reading. With the Murphy cup it’s almost instant 15 seconds with the syrup in it to let thermometer level out. Then drop in hydrometer and you have your reading. Very easy and fool proof. I’ve found it to be a god send since getting an auto draw. Quick readings mean you can adjust the draw temp right away. No waiting.
    Thanks for the reply. What you’re saying makes perfect sense. How long does it take for a hydrotherm to come to equilibrium?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

To be honest with you i cant really remember what i did not like about the hydrotherm,but,,,,tried them a couple of times.bont care for them..i do remember they tzke a bit to get a good reading.....i cant tell you i LOVE the murphy cup...i had a accucup and they are great until the battery dies in the middle of a big boil....some how my brain just gets the murphy cup,,hydrometer,,,combonation...no going to a conversion chart.....easy to tell how far to or past syrup you are......
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

No battery to worry about in the Murphy cup.
    I do find that like any hydrometer or hydrotherm or Quebec hydrotherm that kerping the hydrometer and Murphy cup warm makes for quick readings. I found hanging the cup on the inside of the draw off tank so it didn’t get hit with syrup off the valve works good. I just leave the cup with syrup in it and the hydrometer. Stays warm and ready for next test. Just dump syrup out after taking hydrometer out. Then I fill Murphy cup let it sit for 5 seconds then dump it. Then fill it up again. Then take hydrometer reading. Works for me.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread