+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum on a very small scale?

Default Vacuum on a very small scale?

Just curious - is it possible to run a vacuum system in a small woods? I have 9 trees at my house that are all 30"+. I'm doing buckets now with 3 taps per tree. Some day I hope to be old and may not want to haul sap. So...

--can vacuum systems be done on small scale?

--would I only have to put 1 tap in the tree to get the same amount of sap that I'm currently getting with 3 taps? (seems better for the trees that way)

I'm just thinking if the RO Bucket has brought reverse osmosis to hobby sugarmakers, then is it possible for vacuum to be done on a small scale too.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Definitely vac on a small scale. Especially since there are cheap diaphram pumps like shurflo that work well for this application. Do a search on Shurflo on this site and you will discover a wealth of knowledge
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Chances are those silvers are big enough to put two taps on vacuum in them. So, 18 taps, some 3/16 line and a shurflo pump and you'll be off to the races.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Has anyone tried the guzzler? I was wondering if it works well, and what's needed to install one?
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Quote Originally Posted by jdircksen View Post
    Just curious - is it possible to run a vacuum system in a small woods? I have 9 trees at my house that are all 30"+. I'm doing buckets now with 3 taps per tree. Some day I hope to be old and may not want to haul sap. So...

--can vacuum systems be done on small scale?

--would I only have to put 1 tap in the tree to get the same amount of sap that I'm currently getting with 3 taps? (seems better for the trees that way)

I'm just thinking if the RO Bucket has brought reverse osmosis to hobby sugarmakers, then is it possible for vacuum to be done on a small scale too.
    Get some 3/16 tubing, a shurflo pump and a larger sap tank. You’ll wonder why you waited so long....
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

Wow it's only 9 months til January. Looks like I have some research and planning to do.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

I built a shurflo vac this year originally for an experiment on 16 trees. And my plan was to have this to go into one tank and track production. But the season started so late and it was producing beyond my expectations so I added one of my mainlines that had old tubing that needs replacing and other than a couple leaks at start it really saved my season.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

You will not regret installing a small diaphragm pump and some 3/16" line... for 20-30 taps your investment will be quite low... I am certain that the time saved in collecting sap, and the increased sap yield will justify it for you. It's a little more work to hang tubing then hang buckets... but it will be made up very quickly, when the sap runs.

+ Reply to Thread