+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New filter press, is there a difference?

Are 2" thick plates standard between companies?

My lapierre plates are not as thick as D&G for sure.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

No, I believe most were about 1" thick hollow plates until D&G and maybe more introduced the thicker ones. The thicker the hollow plate, the more DE it can hold and thus the more syrup it can filter in a batch before you need to clean the press.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Josh,

I run a 7" CDL 6 bank with diaphragm pump and it has the 2" thick plates and I don't have any problems getting 50+ gallons through it unless it is late season or the sap is loaded with yeast.
    Last edited by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER; 04-25-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Saturday, the family and I went to VT and came home with a Lapierre 10" short bank. It was at the right price, and I liked the stand the best...simple and effective. I didn't see any major difference between the plates from the different companies. Also, Lapierre has these new hollow plates with an o-ring, so you can double the plates up without needing a paper in-between...~$100 each o-ring plate. Alternative is to buy a hollow/waffle plate kit for $200. I figure the short bank will give me about 30% more capacity than I have now, and I can add extra plates as-needed.

Thanks for the input everyone. It was helpful.

Good choice Josh, you've got some expandability with that press. I've decided on the Wes Fab 7" full stack with an air pump to replace mine.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Here's what I brought home last weekend: D&G 7" press with seven 2" cake plates. It's got a flojet electric diaphragm pump. I used 3 sets of filters and did 147 gallons of syrup, basically a mix of syrup from the whole season. The first run I didn't really know what I was doing and only got 40 gallons through it, but the next two batches I did over 50 each time. I'm very pleased!
    rps20190429_203757_456.jpg
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

After doing more research I decided to get the Wes Fab 7" full stack press with a 1/2" air diaphragm pump. I ordered it today.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    Saturday, the family and I went to VT and came home with a Lapierre 10" short bank. It was at the right price, and I liked the stand the best...simple and effective. I didn't see any major difference between the plates from the different companies. Also, Lapierre has these new hollow plates with an o-ring, so you can double the plates up without needing a paper in-between...~$100 each o-ring plate. Alternative is to buy a hollow/waffle plate kit for $200. I figure the short bank will give me about 30% more capacity than I have now, and I can add extra plates as-needed.

Thanks for the input everyone. It was helpful.
    Looks like a nice press. Was your old cast iron one no longer okay for the new bulk syrup regulations?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I'm not sure if it is or not. It was just in the interest of upgrading equipment. I've had the press for years, it worked fine, and it handled most every day of syrup production.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123