+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to switch taps

Default Looking to switch taps

I been using Leader check valves on leader black stubbier. I do like how they perform but I hate how the taps are awful to remove from the stubbier. I have used these because I get my lines ready in fall and I don’t put out check valve until I tap in February. What other taps do you favor and why?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

H20 blue spouts. They tighten right up and rarely back out.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I use the Leader CV2 spouts and change them every year. They seat in the trees well and you can see the sap coming coming out of the tree. I tap in February and they still produce good in April. You do need a good tap puller like the one that CDL makes to pull them though. The cheap red ones bend too easy and a claw hammer won't do it either. You do have to cut about 3/4" off of the drop every year and you'll need to change to cup tees if you change over from stubbies.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

My problem with cv2 spouts is I don't want to be putting them on in the snow. I want my lines ready to in November.

Quote Originally Posted by steve J View Post
    My problem with cv2 spouts is I don't want to be putting them on in the snow. I want my lines ready to in November.
    Why don't you want to install CV taps (not adapters) in November?
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatetreehugger View Post
    H20 blue spouts. They tighten right up and rarely back out.
    I agree with this. I switched to 1/4 h2o blue spouts this year and really like them. They seal great in the tree!

Use cup tees with the CV2, put them on in November or even October, then drill in Feb if that is your tapping time. Except for falling trees and limbs they will still be good to go. On new drops you can use a lower cost seasonal spout in year 1, then a CV2 in years 2-3-4 or whatever your drop change interval is. Mine is every 3 years, new taps every year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I thought if I had the regular CV's on line in November they might not work well by tapping time late February. I may re- think this. I am going to run as much new line as possible this year so might be a chance to try a new tap like the H20 tap.

Subscribing to this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by steve J View Post
    I been using Leader check valves on leader black stubbier. I do like how they perform but I hate how the taps are awful to remove from the stubbier. I have used these because I get my lines ready in fall and I don’t put out check valve until I tap in February. What other taps do you favor and why?
    Are you using the black CV We switch to the clear CV adapter it has two lines in the plastic that you can see and we only tap the stubby in to the first line. Does it just snap apart in your hand NO
    but I carry a small water pump pliers that stay in my hand, pop the adapter out of tree grab stubby in one hand and quite twist on adapter with pliers and comes right apart. However if you pound the stubby in past that first line yeah your going to struggle. If you tap when the sap is flowing you really have to be careful when tapping or it will slip right in to far
    10,600 taps on vacuum
    5x16 CDL Master / with steam pan
    3600 GPH CDL RO

+ Reply to Thread