+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rework AOF system on old King Evaporator

Nate, Folks,
    Thanks! Maybe there is only inch thick arch board material. If so I may use that and then splits (1 inch thick) bricks for the liner. I got into the arch work a little more this afternoon and evening. Can you say DISASTER!
    It just keeps getting worse. I guess I shouldn't complain the arch has served me well for 20 years with out much love! The arch is probably about 100 years old. So I will cut it some slack.

I got the steamaway out of the evaporator room and into the wood shed. Suspended it with a couple ratchet straps.
    Then brought the cart back in and lowered the rear pan on to it and out the door. Now we have some room to work.

This is just one of my old wood carts that I have the pan balanced on. What could go wrong?

Started squeezing the rails back together. removed all the side brick and splits under them. Found that the left rail is just about shot. several rust spots. You would think this stuff would last more than 100 years! I pulled it in to the dimension and realized that just one rail was moving. The rusty one. I think I may be due for new rails! Just another thing added to the list.

Started to look at the issues associated with new rails. Well they should go back under the stack collar. Began to lift the exterior skin of the stack to expose the base stack.Of course it caught on the stack thermometer and destroyed that too! This base stack was made from 400 series and it has some warping and surface rust. We fired it way to hot several times when I had to old pans and we were burning pallets! All in all not too bad for 20 years. So I need to figure out how to gently unfasten and lift the cast stack base, remove the old rail/s and insert new ones. That should be enjoyable!

I think I will wheel barrow out the old bricks and sand and start fresh. Wife thinks its telling me I should be done making syrup! Wait what was the initial objective. Yea replace the rail gasket! Looking more like a summer project!

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-18-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris: It looks like your pipes are going to go through to the back of evaporator. That's how I did mine. Just built a manifold across the back. Also wrapped them in ceramic insulation .
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I've used arch board and ceramic blanket respectively behind the fire brick in my last two cookers. Arch board is a little easier to work with, but it's WAY more expensive. I bought certain blanket from McGill's warehouse online for my new cooker. I think I paid $140 for enough to do a 4x14. I priced arch board and it was gonna be like $700. I talked to several guys who'd used it behind their bricks and I was convinced to give it a shot. I would definitely go that route again if I ever tear this rig apart.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

Finally had time to get some pictures on.
    This spring I replaced sawdust gate valves with the
    4" ball valves, less air leaks and quieter too!
    Sorry about the last picture, can't seem to get one to be turned the right way.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Guys,
    Thanks The pictures help too! My air tubes are going to come out the side of the arch about midway back along each side.
    I haven't priced the arch board. That sounds a little pricey!
    I found Bascom's has 1 x 3 feet x 1 inch for $12 each plus shipping. They have 16 in a box. I think I would need a box to complete the project on a 3 x 10 arch. Might use some in back of the front casting and maybe in the insulated door too. So that would be $200 plus shipping! Then fire bricks and mortar.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-21-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Folks,
    The saga continues as I find more issues with the old King Arch. It needs more repairs than I thought. But most are sturctural and or safety related. So we will continue to plod along.
    I got the rails removed today. Took the lower portion of the base stack off and found it had some holes and thin areas. Will check with local maple fab shop on getting a new one. Also the stack base is getting rusted and thin. I will have him quote a replacement for that too.

I did contact a local company about the arch board bricks and mortar. May be able to get everything there? If I needed to get the arch board from Bascom's I think I would only need 9 or 10 pieces.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Folks,
    I havent looked for a good used base for the 3 foot wide King type arch. I have some stainless I may try to fab a new base. Creekside Welding and Machine will get the nod to make the section of base stack as a replacement once I get he new base for fit up. Have to order the steel for the rails too. 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle iron. Have found some of the potential insulation materials for rebricking/ insulating, the arch at Onex in Erie. They have ISA board (similar to arch board) and splits and mortar.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Folks,
    Picked up my new arch rails, archboard, firebricks, mortar and stainless for my stack base plate fabrication today. That should keep me out of trouble till syrup season. Will try to bring this old King Arch back on line one more time.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Folks,
    Some pictures of the old arch as some parts Start to get laid out.

This is the stainless channel that I plan to miter and weld the joints into the base for the stack. 2 x 1 x 1/4 thick.

New 2 x 2 x 3/16 steel angle iron rails in position. look pretty good.

I brought home the small steel channel that I proposed for the pans to be elevated above the rail and the rope gasket to be contained in. Concept at this time. Its 1 x 1/2 x 1/8 wall. Havent came up with a good attachment method yet. Spot welding and or fasteners come to mind to keep it in position long term.

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 11-01-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris
    It appears that you are doing a wonderful job of repair work on this old arch. Lots of kudos to you for the care and detail. I have a question on the second picture there is a round hole at the right rear of the arch. What is the hole used for?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast