+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoky Lake 7in short bank Help

Default Smoky Lake 7in short bank Help

Tonight was the first time I tried using my new press. I had a very difficult time trying to get the syrup through the press from the get go. My press is the hand pump model. I had to use a lot of force and every now and then it would blow back the suction line. Here is what I did.
    I had 3 gallons of syrup.
    I brought syrup up to 200 degrees.
    I stirred in 5 cups of DE.
    I know there at 2 kinds of DE but I don’t know what kind I have. I bought it from CDL. It’s in a white bag inside a cardboard box with no labeling on it.
    Once the DE was stirred into the syrup I began pumping. I’m wondering if I used to much DE. I have a couple of pictures of my papers i will post. I would really appreciate some insight into what I’m doing wrong.

110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers
    http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/Nemo5_photos/

Default Smoky Lake 7in short bank Help

Looks like you need more de to me. The plates should be completely full. Although, late season syrup can be hard to filter even with a press sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by regor0; 04-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.

I typically use 4 ups for ~13 gallons even for late season
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

I have to ask. Sorry I dont know what SL sells but a hand pump on a 7 inch press doesnt sound right. Most of the hand pumps are on 5 inch presses? Sounds like not enough pump for the press? Now if it is a 5 inch press. and a short bank to boot. Then there was just a thread about using too much DE in 5 inch presses. 4 cups was determined to fill a 5 inch press I think it was a full bank 5 inch???. This is just information I seen on here I am not saying this is the issue. But I dont use 5 cups of DE in my gear pump Siro press for 20 gallons of syrup. You could have other issues too? The first picture the cake looks pretty gooey! Most of my cake is a little more dry looking? I would probably try less DE.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I have to ask. Sorry I dont know what SL sells but a hand pump on a 7 inch press doesnt sound right. Most of the hand pumps are on 5 inch presses? Sounds like not enough pump for the press? Now if it is a 5 inch press. and a short bank to boot. Then there was just a thread about using too much DE in 5 inch presses. 4 cups was determined to fill a 5 inch press I think it was a full bank 5 inch???. This is just information I seen on here I am not saying this is the issue. But I dont use 5 cups of DE in my gear pump Siro press for 20 gallons of syrup. You could have other issues too? The first picture the cake looks pretty gooey! Most of my cake is a little more dry looking? I would probably try less DE.
    Regards,
    Chris
    It is a 7 inch short bank wit a hand pump and will hold 9 3/4 cups of de.
    I found some instructions on line but there is something I don’t understand. Step 7 in the instructions say:

7 Add Diatomaceous Earth (DE): In this step we will build up a DE coating on the Filter Papers inside the press. Heat the unfiltered maple syrup to bottling temperature (190ºF), and mix in about 1/4 cup of DE for every gallon of maple syrup you want to filter. The amount of DE will vary based on the amount of dirt in your syrup.
    Next, draw off about a 1/2 gallon of the hot syrup into a separate bowl. Mix in enough additional DE to create a slurry. (About 6 – 10 cups).
    I’m going to filter 3 gallons at a time so I’m thinking I should add 1 cup of de into the 3 gallons and mix it. Do you think I really need to add 6-10 cups after that just for the 3 gallons. Seems like a lot since the press only holds 9 3/4.

110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers

First off 3-4 cups of DE should be plenty for 3 gallons, I dont think that you can use too much DE other than exceeding what your press will hold for volume, how well did you mix in the DE? Did you stir it more than once? Hand pumping could be slow and allow the syrup to cool too much or the DE ro settle out before you got it all pumped through?

When I charge my press I circulate the syrup back to the pail I'm filtering out of until the press is good and warmed up and the syrup is clear. Did you do that? What was the density of your syrup, if it's over dense that's not going to help you. Are you certain of the syrups quality? If it was Ropey your likely not going to be able to filter it.

Hand pumping is going to be difficult if your syrup is not up to temperature and or the DE is not mixed in well.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 04-10-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I have this exact press. Hand pump works fine for 10-15 gallons of syrup depending on niter and how much DE. If the window plates are full of DE and you add more, you will have a tough time. I always wet the filters before use. Make sure your press is set up to go waffle, window, waffle, window, etc. I messed that up once.

If the holes in the papers are not aligned you can have trouble too, but yours look okay based on pics. Definitely filter at around 200F and recirculate first before discharging into your canning pan.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    First off 3-4 cups of DE should be plenty for 3 gallons, I dont think that you can use too much DE other than exceeding what your press will hold for volume, how well did you mix in the DE? Did you stir it more than once? Hand pumping could be slow and allow the syrup to cool too much or the DE ro settle out before you got it all pumped through?

When I charge my press I circulate the syrup back to the pail I'm filtering out of until the press is good and warmed up and the syrup is clear. Did you do that? What was the density of your syrup, if it's over dense that's not going to help you. Are you certain of the syrups quality? If it was Ropey your likely not going to be able to filter it.

Hand pumping is going to be difficult if your syrup is not up to temperature and or the DE is not mixed in well.
    I stirred the de right after I added it to the pot. It was mixed in well but I did not stir it again after that.
    I did circulate the syrup back to the pot for about 5 minutes and it looked very clear.the press temperature was about 180.
    According to my Murphy cup I was at correct density.
    It was early season syrup and did not appear ropey to me.
    What I find strange is that it was very hard pumping right from the beginning.

110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers

I gave the press another try tonight. I was very careful when I added the papers making sure they were where they were supposed to be. When I used it the first time I had 5/8 hoses but my 1/2 hoses arrived today so I used those. I used 1 1/2 cups of de in 2 gallons of 200 degree syrup. I stirred it in for a longer time this time. Everything went very well. I guess I must have had something screwed up the first time I used it. I can now hold my syrup up to the window and say very nice instead of oh well.

110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo5 View Post
    I gave the press another try tonight. I was very careful when I added the papers making sure they were where they were supposed to be. When I used it the first time I had 5/8 hoses but my 1/2 hoses arrived today so I used those. I used 1 1/2 cups of de in 2 gallons of 200 degree syrup. I stirred it in for a longer time this time. Everything went very well. I guess I must have had something screwed up the first time I used it. I can now hold my syrup up to the window and say very nice instead of oh well.

Good to hear. I had an issue once where the papers were out of alignment. Can really mess up your day.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast