+ Reply to Thread

Thread: April Journal

Default April Journal

Here it is April 9, still no journal started. We must have all been too busy.
    Anyways, I have boiled the last of this year's sap, have boiled down the contents of the flue pan and the front pan is down to less than 1/2" deep. The auto draw put about 20+ gal of Amber in the draw off tank. I will now need to drain the rest from the front pan and get it all to proper density. First I need to put what is in my finisher in a barrel and maybe pack the rest into retail containers. Then pump the 20+ gal of Amber to the finisher and get it all to proper density and then likely put 16 gal into a barrel and pack the rest in retail containers. Then I will finish cleaning the pans, pack another bourbon barrel with syrup to start another batch and bottle my next batch, which is ready to pack.
    Then it's time to pull taps and wash tubing. I should have a final total for this year's production by this time tomorrow.
    My last sap of the season was collected 4/7/19.
    We had a good season. The sugar was up above the last 2 years. We did not however get to meet or beat our .52 gal/tap of last year. I still need to do the math to get our season sap sugar %.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm still going here in Loudon NH. What was once looking like it was going to be a very poor season is starting to look a lot better. I should finish with around 20 gallons or so less than last year which I'm happy about. I only had 20 gallons made prior to Maple Weekend and was wondering if I was going to make 100 for the season. I'm currently at 149 with sap in the tank and temps looking good through Friday. I checked the sap that I collected tonight and it's measuring at 1.8% which is pretty high for red maples this close to the end.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

High pressure washed the evaporator pans yesterday after work, which makes me 100% done, cleaned up and put away.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread