+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum evaporator pan?

Default Aluminum evaporator pan?

My current evaporator pan is a mild steel pan that is probably 50+ years old. I have been using it for the past 18 years. This year, it started leaking and it is beyond repair. I would like to get a stainless steel pan to replace it, but I have a hard time trying to justify the cost. I only do this for a hobby. I normally end up with less than 8 gallons of syrup in a year which I save for my own use and give to friends for Christmas.
    I currently have access to a large sheet of aluminum, which I believe is 12 guage. Is there reason that I would not want to have a pan made out of aluminum?

Aluminum is a neurotoxin and shouldn't be used in any type of food processing !!

Sell the sheet of aluminum and buy a sheet of stainless. 12g aluminum for 20 to 22g stainless should close to equal in price give or take a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saphead View Post
    Aluminum is a neurotoxin and shouldn't be used in any type of food processing !!
    Aluminum is a neurotoxin but I think that conclusion is a little overblown. Can you site a source?

I wonder if the main problem is that aluminum welding is challenging and the cost savings would be minimal compared to stainless?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I should add that aluminum is reactive to acids and sap can be somewhat acidic.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

That's funny I just ate green beans and gravy made in aluminum pots in my kitchen. Pots that I got out of a restuarant.
    If you'd have asked if you could have used copper , English tin , stainless, glass you'll still get some crazy warning. Look up the pros and cons online and do what works best for you.
    By the way stainless has nickel migration. Nickel is not good in the system. Found that out doing research on making apple cider vinegar. Nothing is truly safe so grab some scissors and stretch. Lol.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

You didn't say what size pan you are using but if it's a popular size you may be able to find a used pan at a place like Bascom's that will fit your needs. Buy a welded stainless pan and it will last a lifetime.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

My current pan size is 22" x 48". I build my own arch to fit the pan. I may modify the arch to accept a 24"x48" pan, since that seems to be a popular size. I may go the route of a new or used pan, I just have a hard time spending the $$$ when I know that I will never see any return.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead600 View Post
    My current pan size is 22" x 48". I build my own arch to fit the pan. I may modify the arch to accept a 24"x48" pan, since that seems to be a popular size. I may go the route of a new or used pan, I just have a hard time spending the $$$ when I know that I will never see any return.
    Maple equipment for the most part holds it's value over time and in some cases it even goes up. You will more than likely be able to sell the pan that you buy for the same as what you paid for it and in some cases you may even get more. There's always someone looking for pans and evaporators in that size range and the cost of new goes up every year so used will bring good money.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Maple equipment for the most part holds it's value over time and in some cases it even goes up. You will more than likely be able to sell the pan that you buy for the same as what you paid for it and in some cases you may even get more. There's always someone looking for pans and evaporators in that size range and the cost of new goes up every year so used will bring good money.
    I know it has been said before but there should be a "like" button on here, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I am as cheap as they come, and I admittedly spent time and money thinking/trying to build my own pans and arch but after a spell figured out how skilled the guys are that make this gear , so I bought some new and used equipment in the end.

If you figure your time and effort into making something lots of time to could have just done something that your good at for extra money and buy yourself something nice. And it will have resale value.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast