+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flat pan vs warming pans?

Default Flat pan vs warming pans?

I apologize if this question has been posted many times but I can't seem to find an answer so I will ask. I describe us as micro hobby as we only tap 20 trees. We are now using 3 warming pans to cook our sap on an outdoor cinder block arch. We finish it on a turkey cooker. Would I gain enough to go to one flat pan? Where we tap is at the cabin 2hrs from our home so I would like to be as efficient as possible. As small as we are maybe it really would not make any difference but I am looking for honest opinions. Also what size pan would you suggest? Thanks for all replies!

While lots of good syrup has been made using restaurant warming pans on a concrete block arch, it will be both faster and easier to get the syrup made using a stainless steel no lead solder flat pan and you will usually make better syrup. Using warming pans there are at least 2 big issues. First, is the fact that the sides of the pan at and just above the boiling sap gets burned onto the sides, adding a slight burnt taste even to the best. The second, you have 2 ways to run more than one pan, neither is fool proof. You either find a way to move the boiling sap from pan 1 to pan 2 and then to pan 3 as it becomes more dense or you just keep adding more sap to each pan as it boils down, both methods work, both could be better.
    If you are thinking a flat pan, check out the numerous pans that will be posted in the classifieds on this forum in the next several months as others expand and out grow what they have. Just either look for welded pans or check for lead in soldered pans, test kits are available at most hardware stores. Another route is check Craig's list, again be careful. A third is check to see what dealers have taken in trade. Maybe the last is to buy new, for that decide what size you think you need and search around. Look at the smaller manufacturers, some of which have adds on this forum.
    Good luck, this will take your syrup making to a whole new level and a flat pan will really make syrup faster and it will be easier to get better syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have about the same size operation with 24 taps and are running a 2' x 2' x 6" flat pan.
    This is a good size for doing gallon batches of syrup or 40-60 gals per boil.
    When this amount of sap is boiled you will end up with about 3/4" in the bottom of pan which will be
    ready for a 10 qt finishing pot . 1" in the flat pan = about 2.5 gallons so i try to get it down to about 3/4" so
    as not to run out of room in the finishing pot.
    Like maple flats said the steam pans sitting down inside the fire tend to scorch some at the top sap level so
    probably get better quality with a flat pan sitting on top of blocks, no scorching going on there.
    That said I am still using a steam pan for preheating but am constantly adding to it as sap in the flat pan evaporates so
    not as much scorching going on but want to upgrade to another flat pan similar size to steam pan to sit on top.
    Last edited by woodsy; 04-07-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Agree with others on this. The steam table pans are great and pretty cheap but a nice flat pan works a bit better as others have stated. I have 36 taps and basically do the same thing as woodsy. I boil down in batches in a 21.5" x 30" pan and combine in a steam pan for finishing. Also use a steam pan on top of the flat pan for preheating:
    https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html

I like finishing in the steam pan vs. a taller pot so you get more steaming surface area. I designed my little custom evaporator to allow me to set a full size steam pan over one of the 18x6 U-burners and keep the heat under the pan and not coming up the sides to prevent any scorching.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I wish to thank everyone for the replies! I have maybe one more boil left this week and then we are done. I believe I will be in the market for a flat pan for next year. Thanks again for info and suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread