+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lines freezing up at releaser

Default Lines freezing up at releaser

I’ve been have some problems with my lines coming into my releaser freezing up on me and I’ve lost a few days of good running sap. It freezes up solid just before the the releaser not letting any sap pass by. I’m running 24” of vacuum. And I’ve been letting it run 24/7 even when it’s below freezing. Anyone have the same problem?
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

Only if I have a small leak at or near the releaser, but then I do not leave my vacuum run 24/7. I set it to shut off about 2 hrs after the temps are forecast to go below freezing. At one woods I left my pump on thru a freeze and had problems years ago. AS the sap rushed into the releaser it had some slush in it, when it dumped some slush held the flapper valve partially open, between the main manifold chamber and one side of the double releaser. That huge rush of air in thru the slightly open flapper froze the releaser, sent slush to the moisture trap, froze that so it did not prevent slush from filling the vacuum pump. I had to remove the pump, moisture trap and take them home to thaw in the shower. I disassembled the releaser and was able to get all of the ice out in a couple of hours.
    When that happened, I decided 24/7 was not for me, the 2 hrs past freeze up has worked well for me.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Only if I have a small leak at or near the releaser, but then I do not leave my vacuum run 24/7. I set it to shut off about 2 hrs after the temps are forecast to go below freezing. At one woods I left my pump on thru a freeze and had problems years ago. AS the sap rushed into the releaser it had some slush in it, when it dumped some slush held the flapper valve partially open, between the main manifold chamber and one side of the double releaser. That huge rush of air in thru the slightly open flapper froze the releaser, sent slush to the moisture trap, froze that so it did not prevent slush from filling the vacuum pump. I had to remove the pump, moisture trap and take them home to thaw in the shower. I disassembled the releaser and was able to get all of the ice out in a couple of hours.
    When that happened, I decided 24/7 was not for me, the 2 hrs past freeze up has worked well for me.
    Maybe I have a small leak I guess. Is you vacuum pump gas engine or electric?

At my sugarhouse it is electric, at my leased bush it is gas.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

i had the same problem and found a leaking fitting into the top of the releaser. The sap would turn to slush before the temps got below freezing. Fixed the leak and it stopped.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    At my sugarhouse it is electric, at my leased bush it is gas.
    On you gas drive vacuum do you have a thermostatic start and stop on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabe1972 View Post
    i had the same problem and found a leaking fitting into the top of the releaser. The sap would turn to slush before the temps got below freezing. Fixed the leak and it stopped.
    Dang I hope I can find that leak then! Thanks for the help bud.

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    Dang I hope I can find that leak then! Thanks for the help bud.
    I bought an amprobe 300 leak detector, I can find even the smallest leaks. Worth every penny, wish I would’ve bought one years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is manual start and I guess how much fuel to put in to have it quit an hour or 2 after freeze up. My electric one is also manual on off, Someday I will likely set up a temperature relay switch, have not done it yet. I now drive the 3 miles to the sugarhouse, turn the pump off and go back home.

On my electric one this morning I found a frozen releaser. I thought it was safe and left it running all night. I found a tiny leak around one of the float rods (a double horizontal releaser). The inrush of air there, formed a block of ice around the rod, above the float ball. it then over filled that chamber because the float could not lift to dump, then sap ran into the moisture trap and the trap sealed off the vacuum so the moisture did not get to the pump. I just disassembled the releaser, sprayed hot water in to melt the ice. Then I removed the moisture trap, set it on the ground, removed the cover and sprayed hot water in that too. Back and running in about 10 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread