+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Weather Forecast is the Best

Default Which Weather Forecast is the Best

Which weather forecast is the best? Accuweather shows freezing nights all next week, but weather.com shows warmer night?

Flip of a coin sometimes.
    2020 - 200 taps 3/16 shurflo
    2019 - 150 taps 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 taps 3/16 hybrid (shurflo), 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons
    2017 - 60 taps 3/16 gravity, oil tank arck w/ steam pans - 12.5 gallons

Neither. I'd go with NOAA. That's where everybody gets their data from anyway.

Go here: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...8#.XKZr55hKhhE

Then scroll about halfway down the page until you see the map. Find exactly on the map where your sugarbush is, and click there. You'll get a customized point forecast for that specific location and elevation, which you can drill down to the hour-by-hour on the page if you want. After you get your point forecast, I'd suggest you bookmark that page so you don't have to keep selecting it on the map.

Cheers,

Gabe
    2016: First year. Homemade evaporator out of little woodburning stove with steam tray pans. 6 taps on buckets. 1.1 galls syrup
    2017: Same little homemade evaporator, but souped up. Still 2 steam tray pans. 15 taps on buckets. 4.5 galls syrup.
    2018: Same setup. Limited time (New baby!) Downsized to 12 taps and short season. 2.2 gallons syrup.
    2019: Still very limited time, with a one-year-old. Downsized even further to 7 taps and a short season. 2.1 gallons syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

None of them are always right. I've found that DarkSky, a "hyperlocal" weather app is pretty good most of the time, but a degree or two off makes a huge difference. You can actually set it up for custom notifications on your phone, so you can be notified if the temp goes above a certain threshold, or falls below a set point.

We see with our Smartrek system that the temperature varies a good deal (4-5 deg F) across the sugarbush, so even if one place freezes up, another can still be running hard.

Beyond a few days a forecast isn't worth much except for a general indication.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Neither. I'd go with NOAA. That's where everybody gets their data from anyway.

Go here: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...8#.XKZr55hKhhE

Then scroll about halfway down the page until you see the map. Find exactly on the map where your sugarbush is, and click there. You'll get a customized point forecast for that specific location and elevation, which you can drill down to the hour-by-hour on the page if you want. After you get your point forecast, I'd suggest you bookmark that page so you don't have to keep selecting it on the map.

Cheers,

Gabe
    I agree that NOAA is the best and is where others get much of their data. Weather.com without a doubt has the most convenient website and app and is useful for casual weather checking. However it is a business who’s businesss model is based around exaggeration and using aggressive language to describe weather. They are selling fear. They regularly overpredict snowfall amounts in my region. The government tends to have more accurate forecasts and has nothing to sell us and their website isn’t cluttered with ads and stupid videos.
    55ish taps
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    RB15 RO Bucket
    Stihl 044 and 026

+ Reply to Thread