+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen RO

Default Frozen RO

I accidentally left my RO bucket out in a storage shed during the hard freeze last night. I had intended to leave it there only temporarily after my last boil. What kind of damage should I check for? Is it likely to pass sugar now? Thanks for any advice.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I guess I would check flows rates to see if they match what you had before, and check the permeate to see if sugar is going through.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    I accidentally left my RO bucket out in a storage shed during the hard freeze last night. I had intended to leave it there only temporarily after my last boil. What kind of damage should I check for? Is it likely to pass sugar now? Thanks for any advice.
    make sure its thawed before you try to run it

I screwed up and froze my membranes last winter. They seemed to work fine this spring. I checked with my hydrometer and sap went from 2% to 6% and permeate was 0%. Definitely check them before throwing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    I screwed up and froze my membranes last winter. They seemed to work fine this spring. I checked with my hydrometer and sap went from 2% to 6% and permeate was 0%. Definitely check them before throwing them out.
    Will do. Thanks everyone for replying
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

If you have the RO bucket and think it maybe still frozen. Place it in a bathtub of warm water and let it sit to thaw over several hours or overnight. Most likely it is fine. those plastic housings are tough.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    If you have the RO bucket and think it maybe still frozen. Place it in a bathtub of warm water and let it sit to thaw over several hours or overnight. Most likely it is fine. those plastic housings are tough.
    I was worried that the ice might destroy the membranes. I'm planning to boil this evening so I'll see how it behaves.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I forgot my 2 membranes (4×40) in the sugarhouse last fall in the storage tubes, and didn't remember they were out there until a week of subzero temps. They were frozen SOLID but let them thaw and are working fine this spring. Running it with ice in them is what will kill them real quick.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

+ Reply to Thread